T6.1 diesel heater install

Hi everyone,

Hope I can ask this question on this thread as it's been a great read - recently spoke to someone about getting Eberspacher Diesel heater installed in my T6.1 which I will get in a few months here in Australia and they seemed to think that the best place for it was under the passenger seat within the van rather than under the van which is what I was suggesting is most common and recommended.

Can I ask why the preferred location seems to be under the van? Planning on driving my new rig in rough grated dirt roads a lot so would putting under the passenger seat if there is room would provide some additional protection long term?

Thanks in advance.

John K.

Reactions: CAB
Hi everyone,

Hope I can ask this question on this thread as it's been a great read - recently spoke to someone about getting Eberspacher Diesel heater installed in my T6.1 which I will get in a few months here in Australia and they seemed to think that the best place for it was under the passenger seat within the van rather than under the van which is what I was suggesting is most common and recommended.

Can I ask why the preferred location seems to be under the van? Planning on driving my new rig in rough grated dirt roads a lot so would putting under the passenger seat if there is room would provide some additional protection long term?

Thanks in advance.

John K.
I think most people opt for external as that’s where they come factory fitted. Diesel heater manufacturers recommend or would prefer them to be fitted internally which in larger vans or boats isn’t an issue.

I’ve compared mine which is internally mounted to a friends which external and there’s not a noticeable difference noise wise.

The only other reason I can think of is space but as every van build is different that may not be an issue.

Some have their leisure batteries and electronics under the drivers seat so the only place to fit their diesel heater is under the van which is where I have my diesel heater fitted.

John.

Mines under the van, pulled the covers last week and it’s still pristine condition under there after a year. For me it left the space under the drivers seat for electronics etc, with my factory fit leisure batter already being under the passenger seat.

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

John K.
Hi John, We have a T6.1 in Australia too. We considered the passenger seat but there are a lot of main wire looms and fuses and connectors under there, whereas the Drivers seat had more space and only our trailer detection control unit in there. We decided not to install externally due to having already travelled the gravel outback and forded some water crossings in WA. So we did a self-install under the drivers seat and while we lost some "storage" space we also feel comfortable that the heater is best protected. Our Lithium leisure battery is elsewhere so the space was available. I have attached some images of our install. I did add an extra silent block to the install for the diesel pump (even thought the autoterm is meant to be the quietest) and also used a large diesel heater exhaust grommet in the aluminum heat shield rather than use the OEM opening to provide further support to the exhaust pipe on our wonderful corrugated gravel roads in Oz, plus an airfilter on the air intake. Built an outlet box to provide direction around our cabinets. works well and very happy with the install. See some images below.

00 Heater under Drivers seat T6.1.jpg01 Outlet.jpg02 Outlet and Storage.jpg

03 Silent block and filter.jpg04 Exhaust support.jpg

05 AirFilter.jpg

Last edited:
Hi John, We have a T6.1 in Australia too. We considered the passenger seat but there are a lot of main wire looms and fuses and connectors under there, whereas the Drivers seat had more space and only our trailer detection control unit in there. We decided not to install externally due to having already travelled the gravel outback and forded some water crossings in WA. So we did a self-install under the drivers seat and while we lost some "storage" space we also feel comfortable that the heater is best protected. Our Lithium leisure battery is elsewhere so the space was available. I have attached some images of our install. I did add an extra silent block to the install for the diesel pump (even thought the autoterm is meant to be the quietest) and also used a large diesel heater exhaust grommet in the aluminum heat shield rather than use the OEM opening to provide further support to the exhaust pipe on our wonderful corrugated gravel roads in Oz, plus an airfilter on the air intake. Built an outlet box to provide direction around our cabinets. works well and very happy with the install. See some images below.

View attachment 245701View attachment 245702View attachment 245703

View attachment 245704View attachment 245705

View attachment 245706
Thanks so much - extremely useful!
Off topic - but how do you cook in your van by the way?

Thanks so much - extremely useful!
Off topic - but how do you cook in your van by the way?
We went simple with a Dometic/Origo 3000 spirit stove (but no longer in production). Serves our purposes well - inside and outside. We are not dedicated foodies and even at home are largely salads/pasta/rice and simple dishes, so didn't opt for diesel or induction. The burner is in a pull out draw just above the fridge in the image above, next to the pull out "pantry".

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

John K.
My Webasto is under the driver's seat, that's where my convertor puts them. Been fine these 4 years.

Back