T6 Heated Steering Wheel retrofit

Just found this if it helps

I needed to bring power supply to my heated MFSW(+12V & GND).
To do that, extra two tape conductors are needed in the spring clock.
T6 OEM Steering Angle Unit 6R0959654 combined with the spring clock tape has 6 conductors. Unfortunately there are no spare paths.
Even if they were, they wouldn't be able to handle the current requirements of MFSW heating element.

I am not aware of any OEM spring clocks with heating tapes to be compatible with T6,
so the only way forward was to extract OEM heating tape from any other heating spring clock unit and add it to the T6 unit.

Hi Robert

Would you make me a clock spring?
I have a passat B8 spring with the plug.

I have a Touareg R headwheel on my van

I wanted to use a bmw switch fitted to the steering column shroud.
Thanks Dave

Everything OFF
20240421_012252.jpg

Illumination ON
20240421_012325.jpg

Illumination ON, Ignition ON & MFSW Heating ON
20240421_013232.jpg

I am thinking about YT video:waving:

By the way, @DJ821 is the best expert I know.
Not to mention pure gentleman, thank you Jan again.

Hi Robert

Would you make me a clock spring?
I have a passat B8 spring with the plug.

I have a Touareg R headwheel on my van

I wanted to use a bmw switch fitted to the steering column shroud.
Thanks Dave
I am extremely busy mate but as always,
happy to help/assist other VW enthusiasts.

For a time being, until a proper cold season, I am going to use approximately 1 minute heating time.
I can adjust the time to virtually whatever I want.

Today was the day! Everything is installed and heated steering wheel work.:mexican wave:

Thanks to @DJ821 for the graphic it looks perfect! :thumbsup:
I used a timer relay 0-120min so I can set how long the heated steering wheel stays on
IMG_7405.jpeg
IMG_7404.jpeg
IMG_7402.jpeg

Last edited:
Two months later…

Surprise surprise… My clock spring cable for heated MFSW broke and destroy my clock spring totally….

IMG_7755.jpeg

Now I get some trouble with my new clock spring but I think I should do a second try soon…

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
@Robert Very nice work, thank you for sharing all information. I just started my clock ring conversion I hope I am ready before colder days are coming. Would you please tell me where did you find the switch with the heated steering wheel symbol on it?
This is a DIY switch cap!
You can either buy a switch, paint the cap and then laser it.
Or you can buy a switch and use your blind cap from your dashboard, laser it and edit it so that it fits on the switch.
I chose the second way.

Last edited:
Or you can buy a switch and use your blind cap from your dashboard, laser it and edit it so that it fits on the button.
I chose the second way.
@Jan_B Thanks for information. It will be challenging to laser it because I don't know anyone who has such machine :thumbsdown: but anyway at least I know now how to do it.

@Jan_B Thanks for information. It will be challenging to laser it because I don't know anyone who has such machine :thumbsdown: but anyway at least I know now how to do it.
Or you can buy a switch and use your blind cap from your dashboard, laser it and edit it so that it fits on the switch.
I chose the second way.
I answered to your message :thumbsup:

Back