What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Finally got round to sound deaden the front doors and fitted new speaker to passenger side.

After seeing all these perfectly butted deadening mats is it just mine that looks more a picasso than a renaissance classic?

Saying that I'm glad I did the front first wgere it is hidden before working back to the wheel arches which are more on show albeit through carpet.

Oh did i mention I hate rivets!
PXL_20210206_100244476.jpgPXL_20210206_124726287.jpgPXL_20210206_145341593.jpg

It’s not unusual to run out of rear toe adjustment on these vans when they’re lowered. Your numbers look good though, despite being slightly different from side to side they are well within the range required. Good to see the “no load” settings being used too. Did you insist on that or did they already know what they were doing?
Thanks for your reply Chris.... yes I did ask for the ‘no load’ setting, but to be fair to them, the guy did say we’ve done a few of them now :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply Chris.... yes I did ask for the ‘no load’ setting, but to be fair to them, the guy did say we’ve done a few of them now :thumbsup:
Whats important about the no load setting of you dont mind me asking?

I can give you a long and detailed technical explanation, I’ll see if I can find the old post of mine with it in, but the simplest way to explain it is that it’s the only way to make sure you get safe and even tyre wear on these vans, especially when they’re lowered.

Some places that do the alignments can use the wrong settings, assuming that because it’s a commercial vehicle it will more often than not be loaded up. As most of our vans are recreational vehicles only and don’t carry any weight (load), they need to be aligned on the ‘no load’ setting :thumbsup:

Yeah we definitely had different technicians.... I know who you mean. The guy I had said “didn’t we do this van the other week?” That’s why I thought he was talking about you (similar silver van). Maybe ‘struggled’ was my word, but he definitely said they’d had the same issue with the last van and he couldn’t understand why? Anyway, as you say, if it’s in the green it’s within tolerance, so all good :thumbsup:
Yea they probably just seen another silver t6 and though it was the same. At least it's all sorted now.

Some places that do the alignments can use the wrong settings, assuming that because it’s a commercial vehicle it will more often than not be loaded up. As most of our vans are recreational vehicles only and don’t carry any weight (load), they need to be aligned on the ‘no load’ setting :thumbsup:
When i phoned for an appoontment and said it was for a transporter, they asked straight away if it had been lowered? I then asked about the no load setting and they knew all about it :)

Here’s the more detailed explanation, it focuses on the rear end and toe, but it’s just as important front and back:

When you have an alignment done using "half" or "full" load, the machine assumes that you are carrying more load than you normally would be, so it assumes that your van is sitting lower than it normally would. The outcome of this is that it adjusts the target "green" numbers to those for a van carrying a load.

As you lower a T6 and especially on the rear end you will get toe in and negative camber. This is simply because of the geometry of the rear arms and their mounting points.

So, the machine thinks your van is sitting lower than it normally would and adjusts the target numbers to be that for a van sitting higher, it thinks that your wheels don't usually toe in as much as they are and so it doesn't ask the fitter to correct them (as much as it should). It will allow that number to go green when they are still toeing in, assuming that when you get home and take the load out of the van it will sit higher and the toe in will reduce to correct settings. What it doesn't know is that you aren't taking any load out of the van at all, so your suspension geometry doesn't change, the wheels continue to toe in too much and you ruin your rear tyres in no time!

When you have it done with "no load" settings, the machine sets the target numbers assuming that your van runs at it's current ride height and therefore suspension geometry all the time. That means it uses the correct targets for how your van is sitting at the time of the alignment. That gives a toe in target much closer to 0 and makes sure that you get the alignment you need to look after your tyres correctly. This becomes more and more critical the lower your van goes, simply because the lower you go, the further the wheels will toe in until there is no adjustment left.

Upgraded Stainless steel bonnet strut... adds a nice touch, looks the business and only need to lift the bonnet a couple of inches and it automatically opens up without assistance... one of my favourite mods to date..

20210206_161001.jpg

20210206_161120.jpg

Here’s the more detailed explanation, it focuses on the rear end and toe, but it’s just as important front and back:

When you have an alignment done using "half" or "full" load, the machine assumes that you are carrying more load than you normally would be, so it assumes that your van is sitting lower than it normally would. The outcome of this is that it adjusts the target "green" numbers to those for a van carrying a load.

As you lower a T6 and especially on the rear end you will get toe in and negative camber. This is simply because of the geometry of the rear arms and their mounting points.

So, the machine thinks your van is sitting lower than it normally would and adjusts the target numbers to be that for a van sitting higher, it thinks that your wheels don't usually toe in as much as they are and so it doesn't ask the fitter to correct them (as much as it should). It will allow that number to go green when they are still toeing in, assuming that when you get home and take the load out of the van it will sit higher and the toe in will reduce to correct settings. What it doesn't know is that you aren't taking any load out of the van at all, so your suspension geometry doesn't change, the wheels continue to toe in too much and you ruin your rear tyres in no time!

When you have it done with "no load" settings, the machine sets the target numbers assuming that your van runs at it's current ride height and therefore suspension geometry all the time. That means it uses the correct targets for how your van is sitting at the time of the alignment. That gives a toe in target much closer to 0 and makes sure that you get the alignment you need to look after your tyres correctly. This becomes more and more critical the lower your van goes, simply because the lower you go, the further the wheels will toe in until there is no adjustment left.
Cheers Chris appreciated

Cheers @ jog think the led’s came out alright nice little mod and only around a £5 cant be bad

Cheers @ jog think the led’s came out alright nice little mod and only around a £5 cant be bad
Absolutely. @Texxaco had a couple of spare warning lights and sent them down to me! I just need to get off my lazy ass and put them in along with the puddle lights I bought!

I added an Evo design shelf today to give extra storage. Had to cut off 4 inches off from either side of the light so it fitted above my unit. Wasn’t cheap but quality is spot on even has a Dimmable strip light

91941AEB-4E05-45D0-9F37-65A9E783BF6A.jpeg

I added an Evo design shelf today to give extra storage. Had to cut off 4 inches off from either side of the light so it fitted above my unit. Wasn’t cheap but quality is spot on even has a Dimmable strip light

View attachment 102199
That’s a lovely job done there. Great place for lights, especially a dimmable strip. Well done

Finally got round to sound deaden the front doors and fitted new speaker to passenger side.

After seeing all these perfectly butted deadening mats is it just mine that looks more a picasso than a renaissance classic?

Saying that I'm glad I did the front first wgere it is hidden before working back to the wheel arches which are more on show albeit through carpet.

Oh did i mention I hate rivets!
View attachment 102168View attachment 102169View attachment 102170
Nope, crazy paving done here today too!
PXL_20210206_205141669.jpg
PXL_20210206_165853899.jpg

Back