What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

I threaded a mains cable into my cabin from the engine bay this afternoon. I found that the metal panel behind the battery is secured with two torq bolts, one under the plastic trim under the windscreen and the other on the right by the bonnet hinge. It then comes away and revels a void with a round 50p sized rubber grommet. I found that sitting in the passenger footwell, I could thread my right hand under the dashboard, after pulling the cover under the dash off. I located the rubber grommet in the fire wall and pushed it out.
In the metal panel behind the battery, I made a 20mm hole for a plastic cable gland to protect the cable from sharp edges.
After threading the cable through, I wired in an inline RCB and an ABB make connector, which now sits infront of the battery.
I have left the cable stowed under the driver's seat for now but plan to route it under the cabin carpet to the driver's seat and wire up a single socket to allow me to plug in a multiple extension cable when static. I can also plug in the leisure battery charger when at home.

Apologies for no images.
Hi and well done But did you not look at Combe Valley campers Video on U tube before starting your Cable run it's always worth having a swat up before starting projects... they give plenty of tips and short cuts might save you some time searching the route.

Dropped mine off for crankshaft oil leak repair plus timing belt water pump etc at Swift motor engineers Westerhope.

Fiamma Bike Rack arrived just now so on the kitchen table for assembly, (notice the continuation of the Red theme ) .

See how long this takes to assemble. Lol.

20220302_135125.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Booked in for an MOT, Cambelt and Water Pump change at Midland VW (Cannock). Seen lots of positive comments about them, and they are not very far :thumbsup:
Did they give a price? Mine needs doing by end of month

One step closer to my Swiss Army knife van vision today. 4 hour round trip to Portishead to see Nick and Sarah at Ovano to have my Switch XL Kombi bed/storage system fitted.

Lovely people (first question was how do you like your coffee) and while I did have high expectations for the unit, I’m genuinely blown away by the quality of materials and production. I’m ruddy pleased with it. Some might think it’s a bit pricey, but definitely a case of you get what you pay for - reckon the drawer runners alone probably cost a couple of hundred quid, the hinges are A1 quality and the phenolic birch ply is truly lovely.

It’s very solid - zero squeaks or rattles on the drive home, and it’s going to transform the usability of the van.

A Forty Winks memory foam tri-fold mattress fits like a glove behind the mini bulkhead. You’d think it was made to measure but Nick assured me it’s just a happy accident!

If you’re on the fence, I can’t recommend highly enough. Top people running a family business together and an amazing quality product made in the UK. Only downside, van is ruddy filthy now after driving in minging conditions (spent a full day detailing last weekend as well :mad:).

A pleasant side effect is the extra weight in the back of the van really settles down the rear suspension - feels a lot more planted and much less bouncy at the rear end :thumbsup:

A few (not great) photos below. I’ll try and get some better ones this weekend after she’s had a bath.

02FE2789-6D9E-484C-BAFE-A31E04C8C303.jpeg
5347EDD0-BE14-4D7B-B705-E9542F374156.jpeg

B28597CA-CAB6-453B-AD87-167F17385BB6.jpeg

Last edited:
Back