What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Made a start on my front calipers these past days, stripping the blue from the calipers is a nightmare. The stuff is like glue and has taken two days on and off to clean them ready for paint.

Efforts of my labour below, Cadbury purple.

F9090976-B26E-45D6-8372-BA3CDB2AB4D5.jpeg

B163532D-8142-490E-B860-9D89C4EF9C77.jpeg

Today I got my MOT sorted then finished installing an inverter shunt. I’ve tried to explain to my son that when he borrows the van he needs to respect the leisure battery capacity but he just glazes over. So I showed him this nice little app on the phone to monitor how much it’s using and how long the battery will last….but he still glazes over. :rolleyes: Cie le vie. At least today he’s offered to pay a third of the £967 insurance due soon. :mexican wave:

Attempted to start building the ‘under Kombi 3 seater bench’ storage thing. The space seems a waste and could be accessed from the front of the bench via doors/drawers for napkins, salt and pepper, plastic plates and camping cutlery etc for when we eat our lunch, picnic or make hot drinks. I also want somewhere to mount my rear speakers as I have bought a rear speaker loom from Slipknot. Also needs to house my AllPowers somehow.

5565C4FA-6320-4E2B-9534-B02FFC8DFCAA.jpeg

Anyhoo, decided to cut a sheet of mdf for the floor and cut in into a sort of W shape so it would go round the floor mounts. Then cut pieces for the outer and inner sides. This is all very well but the floor piece only just slides in from the front at an angle and although easier from the back is still a faff due to wheel arches - there is no way I can build the sides of the storage boxes and then get it back in and I can’t reach all the places to screw it together with furniture blocks if I try and assemble in situ. This will also make it impossible to carpet properly.

Then I got too hot and sweaty and the sawdust stuck to my sweaty arms and legs.

Round 2 - I think I will just build a coffin shaped box behind the bench that extends to the middle load lashing points to fix it down, with speakers down low at the front firing under the bench and a compartment for the AllPowers. The picnic paraphernalia can go in a plastic box and be slid under the bench seat instead.

Starting to get cheesed off with my run of f’ing things up on this van - hope it’s not jinxed :whistle::confused:

@t6blo I’m really liking you’re honest posts- I do think that a lot of the time people only post the final version of their project without mentioning all the previous failed attempts!!

Fitted the alpine tweeters and fully sound deadened the passenger door and fitted the speaker.
Drivers door still todo. That will have to wait till next weekend or I might find myself looking for somewhere else to live :rofl:

@Mic71. Can you give more detail on the sound deadening please? What did you use and how much of it (and anything else that you can think of!). Having just had a new Kenwood head unit fitted, I can't help thinking that sound deadening should be next on the list.

3mm butyl matt 1 box (27 sheets )
Covered inner door skin outer skin that the window mech is on. Then back of door card. I Covered as much as I could and have used half the box. So 1 box should do both doors.
Also used dodo matt liner 1 for each door.
Skins defusers behind the speaker on both doors.
I will post picks when I do the other door.
Will also find links to all products if your interested?

Back