What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Discovered that multi storey carparks have a ceiling height of 2m and my Van, 2.1m. That 10cm had I direct bearing on my anxiety level. Did not realise until I went through the ticket barrier and heard the height bar brush against the wind diffuser of my solar panel. Lesson learnt and no damage other than to my pride

Discovered that multi storey carparks have a ceiling height of 2m and my Van, 2.1m. That 10cm had I direct bearing on my anxiety level. Did not realise until I went through the ticket barrier and heard the height bar brush against the wind diffuser of my solar panel. Lesson learnt and no damage other than to my pride
Could've been a lot worse. On holiday once on IoW and I drover into a carpark with bikes on the roof. The carpark had 2 entrances - one with and one without a heights barrier. Guess which one I used? :eek:

One bike bent beyond repair and one set of roof rails left flapping in the wind. :mad:

Spent the rest of the holiday in a stressful frenzy trying to find a set of replacement rails (none on the island) and then trying to find a haulage company that would take the bikes, the roof box and the roof box contents back home. I've not carried bikes on my roof since.

Do you have any info on how you have gone about this? Really like what you have achieved.
I’ve been thinking about it for quite a while, then pretty much made it up as I went along.
I could probably put together a bit of photo montage as at some point in the next few weeks I’ll be taking them completely apart to seal all edges before ‘final’ assembly… I’ll photo that.
(Particularly happy with the micro switches on the bowl to cut off the tap if someone pulls it out)

I’ve been thinking about it for quite a while, then pretty much made it up as I went along.
I could probably put together a bit of photo montage as at some point in the next few weeks I’ll be taking them completely apart to seal all edges before ‘final’ assembly… I’ll photo that.
(Particularly happy with the micro switches on the bowl to cut off the tap if someone pulls it out)
That would be great thank you. I presume the difference with the Ovano is the height of the end section? I’m sure mine is higher in the middle section where as yours is the same height from side to side.

That would be great thank you. I presume the difference with the Ovano is the height of the end section? I’m sure mine is higher in the middle section where as yours is the same height from side to side.
It’s it’s just the drawer end panel, I knew I was going to build something like this (eventually) so got them to make that panel. It’s the same height as standard is in the middle, and squared off with the holes as big as they were happy to put in…

It’s it’s just the drawer end panel, I knew I was going to build something like this (eventually) so got them to make that panel. It’s the same height as standard is in the middle, and squared off with the holes as big as they were happy to put in…
Depending on my plans I may have to pop in and see them. Helps that they are on the same industrial estate that I work on

Trip to the main dealer today for a minor service and MOT.

Both covered under the All-in plan. MOT had no advisories, only done 3500 in the last year :whistle:

Successful mission. Now to put back all the stuff I changed in preparation for the MOT :thumbsup:

Trip to the main dealer today for a minor service and MOT.

Both covered under the All-in plan. MOT had no advisories, only done 3500 in the last year :whistle:

Successful mission. Now to put back all the stuff I changed in preparation for the MOT :thumbsup:
Was that Chelmsford? Only taken ours there for the 1st service and wasn't too impressed.

@Andysmee

I wanted to do this mod myself, but I don't think the distance between the 2 anchorage points on my roof are long enough to pull it tight enough after fitting your clip... :cry:

1683294679877.png

Edit: couldn't wonder what if...
So just ordered them

1683295321075.png

Cheers @Andysmee for spending "a little" bit more of my money on Vw stuff

Last edited:
@Andysmee

I wanted to do this mod myself, but I don't think the distance between the 2 anchorage points on my roof are long enough to pull it tight enough after fitting your clip... :cry:

View attachment 198097

So just ordered them

View attachment 198098

Lol... Let us know how you get on. I think my clasp is shorter than yours, which may be a solution

@Andysmee

View attachment 198097

So just ordered them

View attachment 198098

And now I've just realised what you were saying ... After I've just ordered some. Lol. I guess I'll find out if it doesn't fit on mine too. Oh well.... I'll find a use for them.

@moomin-j. @Lumbo. I wanted those shorty straps as well, mainly so that I can make full use of the panoramic Westdubs pop top without having to take the straps out but the gap between the two staples on mine is also to narrow (at about 44mm). That said, I have an idea that I've not yet tried which involves using a piece of 6mm rod (aka a steel tent peg) behind each of the the upper staples with the strap looped over it - my idea is that the rod is bent so that it cannot move to either side. We're away from moment at the moment but when back, I'll start getting my head around a prototype and report back if you're interested.

Last edited:
Was that Chelmsford? Only taken ours there for the 1st service and wasn't too impressed.
Yes, it was.

I booked online about 3 weeks ago and chose an 8am while u wait appointment. Had email confirmation.

Had a call about a week ago confirming appointment. Asked how long and was told 2-3 hours for the minor service and the mot.

Had a call yesterday morning confirming appointment and was told 3 hours. I said that was still OK.

Then about an hour later got another call to say they had another MOT booked at the same time and only had one ramp. Could I come at 9am instead.

No, I replied as that would mean I wouldn’t be able to get back to Southend for 12 as had another appointment and not my issue your system has double booked. Oh, she said, went away to check and came back with 8am again :rolleyes:.

Got there at 7:50 this morning and was told 3-4 hours to which I replied, no I was told 3 hours max and have another appointment. Oh she said and said she would call when done.

9:15 had a call to say passed mot and then about 10:30 to say all done so took 2.5 hours. I’d looked at every van for sale, walked to M&S food hall and looked at the 4x4s on the forecourt next door, plus had a nice chat about all the cars, vans and motorbikes we’d owned with another customer also waiting.

Apart from all this kerfulfle the jobs been done, no advisories, they were polite enough and I’m on my way again.

Last edited:
Back