What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Fitted this change over switch for charging my EcoFlow Delta Mini.

1 is solar and 2 is 12v ignition feed. It will stay on solar most of the time.

Have installed it in the rear fixed panel (opposite sliding door) just about level with the arm rest so I can reach through from the driver seat and change it over to ignition live if it’s dark for example.

IMG_1453.jpeg

Yes, it was.

I booked online about 3 weeks ago and chose an 8am while u wait appointment. Had email confirmation.

Had a call about a week ago confirming appointment. Asked how long and was told 2-3 hours for the minor service and the mot.

Had a call yesterday morning confirming appointment and was told 3 hours. I said that was still OK.

Then about an hour later got another call to say they had another MOT booked at the same time and only had one ramp. Could I come at 9am instead.

No, I replied as that would mean I wouldn’t be able to get back to Southend for 12 as had another appointment and not my issue your system has double booked. Oh, she said, went away to check and came back with 8am again :rolleyes:.

Got there at 7:50 this morning and was told 3-4 hours to which I replied, no I was told 3 hours max and have another appointment. Oh she said and said she would call when done.

9:15 had a call to say passed mot and then about 10:30 to say all done so took 2.5 hours. I’d looked at every van for sale, walked to M&S food hall and looked at the 4x4s on the forecourt next door, plus had a nice chat about all the cars, vans and motorbikes we’d owned with another customer also waiting.

Apart from all this kerfulfle the jobs been done, no advisories, they were polite enough and I’m on my way again.
They just try to take people for mugs.
Can you come an hour later? No.
So you get there on time and they say it will take an hour longer. They must think people are stupid.
They don’t know how to do customer service at all.

Cleared my afternoon of work especially to fit new curtains. Snapped 2 drill bits. Got 1 rail on. New drill bits coming tomorrow.

Not a complete success.
I went through a number of drills too, fitting rails for my curtains. The matter was made worse by the drills binding on the carpet lining. I ended up punching holes with a sharply pointed bradawl in some places, that worked for me.

They just try to take people for mugs.
Can you come an hour later? No.
So you get there on time and they say it will take an hour longer. They must think people are stupid.
They don’t know how to do customer service at all.
The first and last time I took my van to the local Stealer was for a warranty issue with the passenger side electric window. Such patronising b#stards…. but just backed up my belief that if you have a local independent or a trusted garage that you use then completely stay away! In my opinion main dealers are only interested in the sale and no after sale customer service at all!

Could've been a lot worse. On holiday once on IoW and I drover into a carpark with bikes on the roof. The carpark had 2 entrances - one with and one without a heights barrier. Guess which one I used? :eek:

One bike bent beyond repair and one set of roof rails left flapping in the wind. :mad:

Spent the rest of the holiday in a stressful frenzy trying to find a set of replacement rails (none on the island) and then trying to find a haulage company that would take the bikes, the roof box and the roof box contents back home. I've not carried bikes on my roof since.
I’ve done so much worse and shame prevents me from sharing!!!

Yes, it was.

I booked online about 3 weeks ago and chose an 8am while u wait appointment. Had email confirmation.

Had a call about a week ago confirming appointment. Asked how long and was told 2-3 hours for the minor service and the mot.

Had a call yesterday morning confirming appointment and was told 3 hours. I said that was still OK.

Then about an hour later got another call to say they had another MOT booked at the same time and only had one ramp. Could I come at 9am instead.

No, I replied as that would mean I wouldn’t be able to get back to Southend for 12 as had another appointment and not my issue your system has double booked. Oh, she said, went away to check and came back with 8am again :rolleyes:.

Got there at 7:50 this morning and was told 3-4 hours to which I replied, no I was told 3 hours max and have another appointment. Oh she said and said she would call when done.

9:15 had a call to say passed mot and then about 10:30 to say all done so took 2.5 hours. I’d looked at every van for sale, walked to M&S food hall and looked at the 4x4s on the forecourt next door, plus had a nice chat about all the cars, vans and motorbikes we’d owned with another customer also waiting.

Apart from all this kerfulfle the jobs been done, no advisories, they were polite enough and I’m on my way again.
I had a similar experience, booked on line for a while you wait service. Then they called the day before to confirm and said that it wasn't a while you wait service. So I had to re-book.

That went OK in the end but I had asked them to look at one of the electric doors while they had it and the forgot all about it...

Unless I want to go over the bridge I think we are stuck with Chelmsford

Well not by me personally and not today either but this all happened on Wednesday/Thursday.....
Van in for MOT and new egr valve as I was starting to get insufficient flow warnings. First off MOT . Van failed on front brakes being on the limit although they weren't noisy and no wear limit light on the dash. I'd normally do this job myself but given it was at the garage they got the nod. New brembo front discs and pads fitted. It also needed CV boots doing so they were replaced also.
The new egr was a bit of a nightmare apparently. I have the worst model for access, 4motion dsg. They had to to take the front bumper off and move all the rads out of the way to get to one of the bolts. VW do not make it easy , stupid as it's a part which is bound to go fubar.
Given Van Diesel turned 5 yrs old this week I had to insure him too.

It'll be beans and toast for my family's coronation dinner !:slow rofl:

Could've been a lot worse. On holiday once on IoW and I drover into a carpark with bikes on the roof. The carpark had 2 entrances - one with and one without a heights barrier. Guess which one I used? :eek:

One bike bent beyond repair and one set of roof rails left flapping in the wind. :mad:

Spent the rest of the holiday in a stressful frenzy trying to find a set of replacement rails (none on the island) and then trying to find a haulage company that would take the bikes, the roof box and the roof box contents back home. I've not carried bikes on my roof since.
Oh no. It's so easy to forget Van height when you don't drive it regularly. Hope your lesson was not too expensive

The first and last time I took my van to the local Stealer was for a warranty issue with the passenger side electric window. Such patronising b#stards…. but just backed up my belief that if you have a local independent or a trusted garage that you use then completely stay away! In my opinion main dealers are only interested in the sale and no after sale customer service at all!
We're not all like that, just the majority, sadly.

Reactions: CAB
@moomin-j. @Lumbo. I wanted those shorty straps as well, mainly so that I can make full use of the panoramic Westdubs pop top without having to take the straps out but the gap between the two staples on mine is also to narrow (at about 44mm). That said, I have an idea that I've not yet tried which involves using a piece of 6mm rod (aka a steel tent peg) behind each of the the upper staples with the strap looped over it - my idea is that the rod is bent so that it cannot move to either side. We're away from moment at the moment but when back, I'll start getting my head around a prototype and report back if you're interested.
These hooks are rated to 500kg. I wouldn't introduce anything that isn't rated for the job

Back