What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

IMG_20230509_183003.jpgIMG_20230509_182545.jpg
Got my hooks today and tried them out. Enough room to keep the strap tight. In fact they are more snug than previously. Now I can cut the strap and not have them dangling over the front seats all the time when the roof is up. And it will stop the metal buckle continuing to scratch the black metalwork. Also means I now have to find a use for the cubby hole that I was previously stuffing the straps in! Dammit! :laugh:

@Andysmee

I wanted to do this mod myself, but I don't think the distance between the 2 anchorage points on my roof are long enough to pull it tight enough after fitting your clip... :cry:

View attachment 198097

Edit: couldn't wonder what if...
So just ordered them

View attachment 198098

Cheers @Andysmee for spending "a little" bit more of my money on Vw stuff

Lol... Let us know how you get on. I think my clasp is shorter than yours, which may be a solution

Clasps delivered today :thumbsup:
Clasps fitted tonight :D

Reimo pull down clasp 1.jpg

No more entirely having to remove the strap to pop the roof :)
No more having to find a "place" to store the strap :)
No more having to try to feed the strap end through the clasp every time the roof is closed :)

All round win - win, me thinks?
Cheers @Andysmee - a cheap, quick, impressive upgrade.

Not a major mod but a significant one for entertainment. Previously needed EHU to run my van projector but knocked up two buck convertors, one for the projector and the other for the firestick. With by Netgear Nighthawk M5, I have off grid entertainment.

The bucks are fed from an SAE connector which replaced a twin usb socket that was not delivering the necessary current.

IMG_20230509_193739.jpg

Screenshot_2023-05-09-21-52-25-161_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 198521

No more having to try to feed the strap end through the clasp every time the roof is closed :)

These devices look neat. Where did you buy the bits John.

View attachment 198521

I turned our hook around and it seemed to work just as well, as our pop top canvas is behind it

These hooks are rated to 500kg. I wouldn't introduce anything that isn't rated for the job
@Andysmee. I suspect it's my fault for not being clear about my idea but I think you might have misunderstood my intentions - I will expand on it with pictures if / as and when I get around to fabricating a prototype (which is a grand way to say bending a steel tentpeg to shape). That said, I also think that the 500Kg load bearing rating for those J Hooks is kind of irrelevant to this discussion as I very much suspect t that they would be the strongest link by far in the figurative chain that holds the pop top safely in place. Even a good quality 25mm webbing strap is unlikely to exceed 250Kg and I've often worried that I'm giving the staples and fixings in the front of the roof and the pop top too much wellie when I tighten the straps!

Last edited:
Back