What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

I managed to give my van a tow bar mounted bike rack that now folds down to allow the tailgate to open properly. I've got a Thule Easyfold XT2 which, as the name indicates, folds to the size of a medium sized suitcase when not in use. Because it is so portable and easy to store when folded up and in it's zip up cover, I have always been willing to put up with the inconvenience on not being able to open the back when we're using the rack unless we either unload the bikes and then take it off or, as we did most of the time during our recent South of France road trip, just lift the whole thing off (ie. bikes 'n all) and drop it back on when we needed to. However, the novelty of doing that started to wear off as it can sometimes be awkward to place it in exactly the right spot to enable it to lock down properly on the tow ball. Anyway, I saw a video on YouTube made by a couple under the name of 'California Time' where they simply took out to thick plastic bungs which doubled as the stops for tilt mechanism on the rack. At first, I wasn't keen on their idea as I reckoned that the bungs probably contributed to the strength of the pivot point but when I got to take it apart, I realised that you could cut them down to a size which allowed the rack to fold enough but still maintained the structural integrity. An hours work and job done - I've just been out (in the rain) to test it and the tailgate clears the rack easily. I just need to make a prop of some kind now otherwise all the weight will rest on the handlebars of the outside bike when it's folded. A 27" length of roofing batten with a V cut into one end should do nicely but that's for later. If anyone's interested, I can explain some more and take some pics.
Ajay, great post, I’ve just had a tow bar fitted because we had a rack already and sure enough we can’t open the tail gate…. It’s a Thule velocompact 927. I can see the bungs, how much did you cut off and did you angle the cut or just vertical? Any pics or info would be great

Busy few weeks researching, buying and planning. Not complete yet as waiting on brackets for the lights in front of the rack rather than on top, but worst part (drilling holes in the roof) is done and cables pulled, and it’s all watertight thankfully. Once the lights are up I’ll mount up the solar panel which concludes the exterior work and then finally terminate the panel wiring, secure all the cables, and generally just get everything back together internally. Hopefully with no subsequent rattles! As always the forum has been an essential source of study.

IMG_6023.jpeg

IMG_6018.jpeg

IMG_6022.jpeg

Washed it. Trying to get rid of 3000miles of French and Italian dead flies is a nightmare!

It was nice and dull this morning when I started, and then the sun decided to show making streaks on the van straight away. I really hate washing cars and vans!

Looks a lot better now though.

Where did you get that from please?
2 Pcs Car Cigarette Lighter Plug Cover Cap Eject Button Dust Cover,Car Engine Start Stop Button Cover Zinc Alloy Protective Cover https://amzn.eu/d/0RX3JKb

One thing I will say is be carefull when putting the cover on as you have to be very precise as there is virtually no room around it with the raised trim

Last edited:
Spent the day sound deadening the final part of the van, as well as wiring the towbar electrics and fitting 12v and USB sockets (via ignition switches). I didn’t like that you could see the wiring under the seats with the OEM plastic seat covers so made some cover plates. Really happy with the outcome:

View attachment 198982

View attachment 198983

View attachment 198984

View attachment 198985
nice
I did mine and well worth the effort especially as I am running BFG AT Tyres really has made a massive difference with road noice in the cab

Back