What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Hi all and hope the summer is seeing a lot of use of them Vw vans and campers
So I have set out on a mission to design and make a light internal
Using led carpet mdf and a old traffics light lens
My first part was to get the mdf sheet cnc into the size and pattern I wanted a set size and so got a local company to cut this out, I must say what a first class service contact and design drawings through to sending out well protected wrapped
Along with great service Stuart has offered the same service to any member of the T6 forum
Drop me a message if you would like his contact details he is based in Milton Keynes and can cut CNC anything up to 750x750 and 50mm thick
Go on give him a try
Update
Carpet has been applied to the mdf fitted a switch and installed pls tried out a few different leds white and blue
Lens fitting next and install just thinking ceiling or side panel
IMG_3986.jpegIMG_3987.jpegIMG_3992.jpegIMG_3998.jpegIMG_3994.jpeg

IMG_6029.jpeg
Wanted to commit a murder this morning, driving down a quite country road in Brittany, nothing in front of me, car comes the opposite way with the windows down, just as we pass there’s a really loud crack and I duck, look up and there’s a 25mm chip on the middle of the drivers side windscreen, there is no way it could have been a stone, I can only assume some kids with a air pistol, having a laugh

Would be good to see the underside pls plus any pictures of the connection please
I started with a large bit of cardboard to get a rough fit. Then draw round that on plywood.
It’s basically an off cut of 18mm ply. I added a small piece to the end and then a couple of this bits of timber I had lying around. It’s a bit of ‘suck it and see’ to get the thickness right. Plus cutting the width down so it fits in the recess properly. The hole is not square, it tapers slightly on each side as it goes in. The lip was a short bit of dowel, off an old wooden hanger. I cut down the length to get two half dowels, and then cut 45 degree angles so the corners fit nicely. It doesn’t have to be neat as the carpet hides the rough edges. The underside is just flat.
Once I had a good fit I then carpeted it. One single piece, pinch the edges, and trim.

IMG_0039.jpeg

IMG_0042.jpeg

IMG_0041.jpeg

Anyone know if these are OEM/standard metal fixings? I bought some panel van ply panels from plyworx which have holes here but I don’t have these two parts to secure the panel to.

IMG_0969.jpeg

Only realised today fitting my custom shop designs panels. Panel doesn't really need the extra two, I just popped a couple clips in the empty holes.

That's a really good idea. I've been trying to wedge in some double glazing sealing trim but it keeps working it's way out.

Didn't check the radio. However this set of Fog lights was on my previous T6 and DAB was working fine. I’ll check tomorrow the t6.1…

Gave the van it's first proper wash since picking it up in July - it had a waterless wash in the meantime but as our hosepipe ban hasn't long been lifted this is the first chance I've had to give it a proper going over.

It's a deel pearl black and I don't think it's ever had a 'proper' wash and detail. Boy did it need it!

About 4 hours later, I've washed it, de-tarred and de-fallouted the sides and bonnet which felt like sandpaper with the amount of tar spots and iron fallout on them - they're not perfect but they're about 95% clear now. Also used soft99 glaco compound on the windscreen which had some atrocious staining that made it almost impossible to see out of when the wipers wiped over light dew - this stuff is absolutely fantastic and it's got rid of all the ingrained marks. Also did the driver's and passenger windows and the sliding door windows with the same stuff, before I had to call it a night as the sun had set and it was getting hard to see!

I'll continue the job tomorrow after work, I'll do the rear window and the side rear windows and maybe even the insides of one of the sliding door windows as I saw the ghost of an old sticker when cladding the insides a few weeks back. I'll need to make sure there's no residue of any of the cleaners I used (probably missed loads in the failing light) so I'll probably give it a quick wash over with onr, and a proper dry before I can apply glaco dx sealant to the windscreen and windows, and some protection to the paint.

It desperately needs a full polish tbh as there's loads of swirls and plenty of bigger light scratches all over the van.

Last edited:
Back