What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

washed it.
which was stupid. FAR too cold. water was freezing faster than i could wash her.
then spent longer sweeping (and gritting) the drive afterwards so Mrs Trouts doesn't go @rseovertit.
still, lesson learnt :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not a huge job when compared to other things I've done to the van, but just managed to change a headlight bulb in the dark without taking the bumper off!

Only took 45 mins and I've still got most of the skin on my knuckles so I'm taking it as a win! Did drop the torch out of my mouth and in to the engine bay though so that took 5 mins of retrieval!

VW designers really need to take a visit to Volvo. I managed to change a bulb in 4 mins, wearing gloves, on my sister's XC90 by removing the entire headlight unit with just two metal bars locking it in place.

Needed new tyres so after much research I went for the Fuel Zephyr with Falken 235/65/17. Unbelievable improvement in ride comfort.
Massive thanks to Elite Wheel and Tyres in Reading. Charlie opened up especially for me and had coffee ready when I arrived after a 2.5 hr drive from Wales. Top service from Charlie. View attachment 223760
They are amazing tyres. I did the same a month ago and then drove to the Alps. Ride, noise and grip on ice and snow is amazingIMG_5164.jpg

Sat in it and contemplated life, and whether to remove the solar panel on the roof of the van.

Since installing the Fogstar Drift and Renogy DC-DC I am not seeing a huge amount of drain which is great - only running a Tapo cctv camera, Wi-Fi hotspot and some usb sockets. Even after sitting for 3 days over weekend it is still registering 98% full and only takes a 15 min drive to work to top it back up. My amp and DSP is connected but only used when ignition live is present and engine running so Renogy is putting back what it is using on the commute.

Night and day improvement over the Ecoflow Delta Mini.

Don't currently have an MPPT and can’t use the Renogy as panel Voc is too high, so it is currently just sitting on the roof unconnected to anyfink.

Seems like for my minimal power requirements having solar as well as DC-DC is pointless.

Finally finished fitting my pioneer head unit and all it’s Ariel’s and mic. etc.
Well apart from the rear camera. I’m waiting til it’s a bit warmer for running the cable.
I’m well pleased with it.
Apple car play.
Even understands my Scotch accent.
Result :D
View attachment 225867
I yesterday priced this up for my t5.1 Caravelle, Pioneer SPH DA 130, inc roof DAB ant, camera etc fully fitted or I am thinking about doing it myself saving £320....

I yesterday priced this up for my t5.1 Caravelle, Pioneer SPH DA 130, inc roof DAB ant, camera etc fully fitted or I am thinking about doing it myself saving £320....
It’s DAB360 I fitted.
TBH it was pretty straight forward.
Chris from the van cave supplied it and made sure I had all the correct adapters and cables, fascia etc.
Just makes sure you get all the right bits.
Running the cable for the rear camera will be a bugger though.

It’s DAB360 I fitted.
TBH it was pretty straight forward.
Chris from the van cave supplied it and made sure I had all the correct adapters and cables, fascia etc.
Just makes sure you get all the right bits.
Running the cable for the rear camera will be a bugger though.
I have checked pricing wise for the kit list and its about the right price. Running in a sharks fin DAB ant and a camera to the back for £300 I guess isnt too bad. He said the Caravelle roof panel can be a two man job...

Fitted an awning rail, which was a bit stupid in the freezing conditions but there we go. Hopefully the glue sets within the next couple of days before I need to drive to work in it!
IMG-20240118-WA0007.jpg

Also added a switch to my lighting so I can turn them all off together rather than individually.
IMG-20240118-WA0010.jpg

Back