What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Getting an oil and filter service whilst I wait at Vw as part of its all in plan (only took it out three weeks ago)
So this is interesting. I like this dealer I use down here for the odd thing like dsg oil and filter and now I’ve an all in plan it went in for an oil and filter as part of that.

Last time it went in for dsg filter and oil the vehicle health check showed new pads on front and reverse sensor disconnected. I declined to get them done there.

My local Indy did the pads and they were nowhere near worn as suggested as I’m guessing they’ve not had the wheels off to check.

Today I’ve been told the pads are 90% worn and the discs lipped. As you can imagine it was only 5000 miles when they were replaced so I was like I think you’ll find your guy needs new specs. . Turns out it is the rears.

Booked in to my Indy next week for pads and potential discs if needed so let’s see.

Zero mention of the fact that three out of the four reverse sensors are not in place so obvious holes in bumper and you can only imagine the volume of the beeping when you are driving at slow speed.

Made me laugh it did when I was like oh did he not notice the three holes in the bumper and the crazy beeping.

So this is interesting. I like this dealer I use down here for the odd thing like dsg oil and filter and now I’ve an all in plan it went in for an oil and filter as part of that.

Last time it went in for dsg filter and oil the vehicle health check showed new pads on front and reverse sensor disconnected. I declined to get them done there.

My local Indy did the pads and they were nowhere near worn as suggested as I’m guessing they’ve not had the wheels off to check.

Today I’ve been told the pads are 90% worn and the discs lipped. As you can imagine it was only 5000 miles when they were replaced so I was like I think you’ll find your guy needs new specs. . Turns out it is the rears.

Booked in to my Indy next week for pads and potential discs if needed so let’s see.

Zero mention of the fact that three out of the four reverse sensors are not in place so obvious holes in bumper and you can only imagine the volume of the beeping when you are driving at slow speed.

Made me laugh it did when I was like oh did he not notice the three holes in the bumper and the crazy beeping.
I've still got an outstanding recall for the bowden cable going back 12 months probably, buggered if I will take it to VW Birmingham! Long live the Indy!

Now I’m back in love with my van I decided to give it a clean starting with the wheels.
Anyway, because they are bare polished aluminium they haven’t done well with 3 months of neglect in all the salt and stuff.
This is after I washed them
IMG_5852.jpeg

And this is after a bit of elbow grease and a tube of Autosol.

IMG_5853.jpeg

Only took me 4 hours.
I’ll wash the van tomorrow now.
I’m off for some well-earned afternoon beer as prescribed by her indoors.. apparently I’ve earned it.

Now I’m back in love with my van I decided to give it a clean starting with the wheels.
Anyway, because they are bare polished aluminium they haven’t done well with 3 months of neglect in all the salt and stuff.
This is after I washed them
View attachment 227172

And this is after a bit of elbow grease and a tube of Autosol.

View attachment 227173

Only took me 4 hours.
I’ll wash the van tomorrow now.
I’m off for some well-earned afternoon beer as prescribed by her indoors.. apparently I’ve earned it.
Great job Si!

@nmh87. Thanks - you've just reminded me that I need a new bumper protector after it (the bumper) was replaced last year. That said, I've only made a diary note to get one in a couple of months as I think I'll leave it until the weather warms up a bit before trying to stick it down.

@nmh87. The bodyshop that did the bumper (trusted friends!) tried that and other things but simply couldn't shift it without damage (and bare in mind that they didn't have to worry about damaging the old bumper as it was scrap!). In the end that invited me to have a go but I didn't bother - I put it down to fitting the thing in the summer and using 3M VHB with 3M primer (the latter didn't come with the protector). I think I'll probably stick with RGM for the new one as that's what I had before and have had them on a few other cars as well but out of interest, where di you buy from?

@nmh87. The bodyshop that did the bumper (trusted friends!) tried that and other things but simply couldn't shift it without damage (and bare in mind that they didn't have to worry about damaging the old bumper as it was scrap!). In the end that invited me to have a go but I didn't bother - I put it down to fitting the thing in the summer and using 3M VHB with 3M primer (the latter didn't come with the protector). I think I'll probably stick with RGM for the new one as that's what I had before and have had them on a few other cars as well but out of interest, where di you buy from?

It’s the Leighton one although I’m sure it’s probably the same as many others out there!

Back