What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Fitted this change over switch for charging my EcoFlow Delta Mini.

1 is solar and 2 is 12v ignition feed. It will stay on solar most of the time.

Have installed it in the rear fixed panel (opposite sliding door) just about level with the arm rest so I can reach through from the driver seat and change it over to ignition live if it’s dark for example.

View attachment 198117
Evening gang. I am about to fit the same but before I do so , I was thinking about using something like this:

1708371852677.png

I have searched the threads and can't find anyone going down this route. I suspect there is a reason for that but can't see it!
Why use a manual switch over, when this little bit of trickery will switch between two sources, prioritising one of the sources (Ignition in my case). Hence, when ignition on, charge the EcoFlow. When the van gets switched off, the solar input gets triggered. At least I think that's how it works!
Thoughts?

I very much doubt that but would need to check.
I don’t think you can buy the V1’s new now. Only the V3 in various styles
Just spoke to THQ. V1's are the only version for the T6.1 (for now). They are MOT and E compliant with LED bulbs. The LED bulbs state offroad use only as people were using them in the stock lights which would not be road legal. These lights were designed for LED bulb use.

Last edited:
Just spoke to THQ. V1's are the only version for the T6.1 (for now). They are MOT and E compliant with LED bulbs. The LED bulbs state offroad use only as people were using them in the stock lights which would not be road legal. These lights were designed for LED bulb use.
Yeh I was led to believe the THQ with LED bulbs were road legal. As they were sold together. Was just the warning on the bulb box made me wonder.

Yeh I was led to believe the THQ with LED bulbs were road legal. As they were sold together. Was just the warning on the bulb box made me wonder.
As far as I am aware they are not road legal with LED bulbs. The bulbs must be E marked (UK approved post Brexit) to comply with The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, if they are not they are illegal. This is not checked as part of the MOT.

Additionally the light unit must be ECE-R128 approved to be an LED capable unit. I’m not aware of any LED approved headlight units that use an H7 type bulb fitment.

I think THQ are being a little loose with their compliance statements. The units are certainly E approved but I believe just for halogen bulbs. They are also MOT compliant, but again only with halogen bulbs. They cannot be legal with non E marked bulbs full stop.

Do they have ECE-R128 markings on the unit?

As far as I am aware they are not road legal with LED bulbs. The bulbs must be E marked (UK approved post Brexit) to comply with The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, if they are not they are illegal. This is not checked as part of the MOT.

Additionally the light unit must be ECE-R128 approved to be an LED capable unit. I’m not aware of any LED approved headlight units that use an H7 type bulb fitment.

I think THQ are being a little loose with their compliance statements. The units are certainly E approved but I believe just for halogen bulbs. They are also MOT compliant, but again only with halogen bulbs. They cannot be legal with non E marked bulbs full stop.

Do they have ECE-R128 markings on the unit?
Their video pretty much explains it around 5:58 -
You are correct. Aftermarket LED bulbs are supposed to be for offroad only. THQ seem to say that if the bulb is not visible from the front and using a projector then you will get through an MOT and obviously no one is any the wiser. I'm happy to take the risk and will make sure they are set correctly to not blind other drivers.

Their video pretty much explains it around 5:58 -
You are correct. Aftermarket LED bulbs are supposed to be for offroad only. THQ seem to say that if the bulb is not visible from the front and using a projector then you will get through an MOT and obviously no one is any the wiser. I'm happy to take the risk and will make sure they are set correctly to not blind other drivers.
:thumbsup: The video pre-dates the change to the MOT regs in 2021 but the essence is still the same. One is relying on the tester not spotting an LED bulb is fitted because they can’t see it behind the projector lens and/or them thinking the headlight unit is LED approved. It’s a pass or a fail that’s sorted by swapping the bulbs back if needed. The more worrying, albeit unlikely, issue is the illegal bulbs causing issues after an incident, either with your insurance and/or the courts. It’s clearly a personal risk to take, but one that some do not even know they are taking.

Of interest, the requirement for auto-levelling and cleaning systems for LED and HID appears to have been removed from the MOT regs. They need to work if fitted but it does not state they have to be there for LED/HID. Maybe that opens up the option for OEM LED lights to be fitted without all the other gubbins unless those rules are hidden away somewhere else.

I would very much doubt these lights are designed for led bulbs. If they were, why would they have h7 fittings for the bulbs? As far as I'm aware there are no bulbs e marked for use in the UK. I agree their lights are MOT compliant, but once the LEDs go in,they ain't. They only pass at MOT stations because they ain't getting checked properly. The LEDs won't be the same colour temp as halogens, so that would flag to a tester to look closer. Then all they need to do is pop off the cover to reveal the bulb. And yes, before anyone says we can't remove things during an MOT, we can. If no tools are required and we won't cause damage, then we can remove covers etc.

As for requiring levelling and wash systems, I have no idea. The manual says nothing about that with the exception of motor caravans not requiring levelling system. If we get a spot check from our local inspector, I'll try and remember to ask.

Back