What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Did a possible fix on my leaky sliding windows.

Ordered some 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm foam rubber cord and fed this into my 2x sliding window seals (one had already split at the join, the other I made 2x small nicks to feed it it) with the help of a spare bicycle gear cable fed through to pull the cord back through.

1000006759.jpg

On first test, after removing the copious amount of silicone grease which was keeping the seal watertight (but is only a temporary fix) it seems to have worked. My thinking is that the seals are hollow and they're not making a tight enough of a seal against the outer glass. The 4mm stuff fits perfectly, I tried the 5mm and that would be even better but there's just too much friction when pulling it through, even with lots and lots of lubricant (fnarr). It ends up breaking.

The windows aren't any harder to close, chucking some water directly at the seals and they seem to be sealing and not letting any water through.

We're due some heavy rain tomorrow overnight and in the past there's been a swimming pool in my side step so I'll see how it fairs.

Last edited:
Did a possible fix on my leaky sliding windows.

Ordered some 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm foam rubber cord and fed this into my 2x sliding window seals (one had already split at the join, the other I made 2x small nicks to feed it it) with the help of a spare bicycle gear cable fed through to pull the cord back through.

View attachment 230726

On first test, after removing the copious amount of silicone grease which was keeping the seal watertight (but is only a temporary fix) it seems to have worked. My thinking is that the seals are hollow and they're not making a tight enough of a seal against the outer glass. The 4mm stuff fits perfectly, I tried the 5mm and that would be even better but there's just too much friction when pulling it through, even with lots and lots of lubricant (fnarr). It ends up breaking.

The windows aren't any harder to close, chucking some water directly at the seals and they seem to be sealing and not letting any water through.

We're due some heavy rain tomorrow overnight and in the past there's been a swimming pool in my side step so I'll see how it fairs.
Keep us informed please.

I have injured the poor t6.1.
If anybody got the parts number I’ll replace them..

View attachment 230723

View attachment 230724

View attachment 230725
I have a front RHS one available, from where I took it off to fit a water tank. Part number on the photo here:

Black trapezoid side bars fitted bought from Vee Dub transporters, look good now I’ve finally got them on but have to say that the fitting instructional video which they give you is incorrect, misleading and a total waste of time. Ended up working it out for myself by trial and error as to which way things fitted. Just wish I’d read the comments to the video before attempting to follow it.
We fitted some Leighton ones and ended up putting them on the wrong side. Nobody really does good instructions. Never thought the brackets would be asymmetrical. Doh!

We fitted some Leighton ones and ended up putting them on the wrong side. Nobody really does good instructions. Never thought the brackets would be asymmetrical. Doh!
I think the video is probably for lwb but no information is given for which way the fittings go for swb. Lots of cursing later I got the right combination of which way round they went on. Perhaps it’s the equivalent of the old Haynes manual writers

Same with mine I checked the other day. I’ve got the original jack and a bottle jack in the van. Pita but I’d have to jack both sides of the rear up a little bit.
I only have the original jack and would probably call roadside assistance to change the wheel anyway, so I suppose they'll just have to jack the back a little first.

I found some on the outside of my rear screen after the pop top was fitted. Didn’t notice until weeks after, when they became rust dots all over the glass.
I used one of those scrapers that you put a Stanley knife blade into.
Sprayed glass with water to lubricator and scraped over very lightly. You’ll hear it sounding rough and then after a couple of passes it’s lovely and smooth. Keep it very wet as you go. Use a very shallow angle and no pressure so as not to scratch the glass. I have only one permanent area of visible damage that is pinhead size and not noticeable.
I believe it’s also possible to use fallout remover to dissolve the metal. Something like this, but I’ve never tried it.
Thank you so much for this advice!

I had a go yesterday and managed to scrape off pretty much all the fillings. Unfortunately they have still left a mark - I think its scratches on the glass - but it still looks 100 x better.

Yesterday I glued on the remaining window that was left after I had a delivery error. I wanted to make sure I used enough glue as I had a problem with one of them leaking so I went crazy and ran out of glue 3/4 way round :eek: so I just used emergency silicon to complete the final side (luckily I had started at the top). Really hoping that's going to work out.

Started the process of sealing up my leak with Captain Tolley - will see how that goes...

Angle grinded off the bulkhead upstanding

Installed an MS craft swivel seat

Chatted to multiple neighbours

IMG_5573.jpegIMG_5572.jpeg

Back