What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Habitation Check by member of Approved Workshop Scheme (NCC) @ £155.
Tick box exercise to keep conversion warranty in place, but saved me a 6hr round trip and cheaper too.

Reactions: CAB
I think mot’s have got stricter on lighting recently so you may have the same trouble wherever you go. There’s an mot tester on the forum but can’t remember who it is- he could probably give more insight.

I think mot’s have got stricter on lighting recently so you may have the same trouble wherever you go.
Like anything in life, there will always be testers that just go through the motions of an MOT, and others that actually do the MOT. Yes, lightning is a very hot topic for DVSA. Every single year we do our test, you are guaranteed to be asked headlamp aim test and conformity questions.

The biggest issue for the headlights are the use of hids or LEDs in non hid/led light units. The new ruling came out a few year ago. Why people get upset when they are failed, is beyond me. It's illegal and must comply. We are not jobs worth's. I can guarantee that if Joe public drove away after an MOT and were pulled for a roadside check and told their lights were illegal, the response would be "but it's just passed its MOT!"

Like anything in life, there will always be testers that just go through the motions of an MOT, and others that actually do the MOT. Yes, lightning is a very hot topic for DVSA. Every single year we do our test, you are guaranteed to be asked headlamp aim test and conformity questions.

The biggest issue for the headlights are the use of hids or LEDs in non hid/led light units. The new ruling came out a few year ago. Why people get upset when they are failed, is beyond me. It's illegal and must comply. We are not jobs worth's. I can guarantee that if Joe public drove away after an MOT and were pulled for a roadside check and told their lights were illegal, the response would be "but it's just passed its MOT!"
Also, other drivers (including me) object to being dazzled by those with misaligned headlights and/or llegal bulbs.

Researching this task before buying the genuine box versus Van-X version. I knew there was some cutting involved but that's quite a lot of chopping out, first time I've seen a photo. How stable is the box and the panels either side after cutting back their mounting points? Thanks

Just fitted centre radio surround today, PO previously fitted lower centre dash which got me started on this journey. Side air vents and upper glove box to follow. Then Titanium black lower glove box and lower dash panels. Then maybe door panels..... slowly but surely the cab will become black/dark grey as and when some items come up at a good price.

View attachment 232006
Is the centre surround a straight swap?

Around the stereo head unit, yes just dropped in. Only two thin locating tabs on back of the surround needed breaking off as they didn’t line up with the stock dash holes.
Cheers, you’ve started me looking at this again! Looks like chili jam vans sell both vents for £240. I wonder whether the original vents and centre align nicely with the van x glove box in colour and fit

Cheers, you’ve started me looking at this again! Looks like chili jam vans sell both vents for £240. I wonder whether the original vents and centre align nicely with the van x glove box in colour and fit
I was going to call and ask them also as they say they don’t fit in their listing. I’ve read elsewhere the foam seal needs removing and some trimming needed at the bottom of the vent for them to sit flush. Assume that may be some tabs again not aligning with stock dash.

Researching this task before buying the genuine box versus Van-X version. I knew there was some cutting involved but that's quite a lot of chopping out, first time I've seen a photo. How stable is the box and the panels either side after cutting back their mounting points? Thanks

Just fitted centre radio surround today, PO previously fitted lower centre dash which got me started on this journey. Side air vents and upper glove box to follow. Then Titanium black lower glove box and lower dash panels. Then maybe door panels..... slowly but surely the cab will become black/dark grey as and when some items come up at a good price.

View attachment 232006
Hi, everything is nice and secure once built back up. I just took my time cutting a little then test fitting until I was happy with the alignment and fit.

Further update- My original H4Lights have been installed and MOT passed.
Now I am back to the original problem with piss poor lights. Will have to start searching for better bulbs to install.
Bugger.
Fit H7 headlights from a Caravelle or Shuttle. 2 lamps in each unit, one dedicated dip-beam, the other high-beam. Fit legal uprated bulbs and get the van coded to keep dip illuminated when on main beam. When you fit the lights, get them aligned properly.

Drained down the onboard water tank and water system then refilled with a Puriclean solution. Let it stand for a couple of hours then drain and flush through twice.

Generated a storage position for my Fiamma rafter pro. It’s quite long in retracted position and so would not fit in any of the van storage. As we don’t use the pop top for sleeping the rafter is not in the way when not used!

IMG_2432.jpeg

Back