What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

yeah I thought that at the time and replaced the white foam with double sided 3M stuff that I stick number plates down with. If that fails I’ll stick some wrap down and bond them to that.
I've had good results with black RTV silicone mounting amber lights and cable tie bases in similar situations plus removal was not terrible when needed.

They look spot on, is that Anthracite inner colour?
I’m not sure to be honest! I think the outer is anthracite and the inner is storm. Leighton only stock this colour combo as it’s what they install in their vans. The lead time to order custom colours from van shades direct is 4-6 weeks. I’m far too impatient to wait that long.

Thought I'd whip out the spare wheel to 1) make sure I could actually remove it and 2) see what state it's in.

1000009495.jpg
Well, I think there's a wheel there under that dirt!

1000009496.jpg
Yes, a 5th Cascavel! With the factory standard fit diamond cut corrosion, it seems! The lacquer was actually flaking off!

And the tyre is basically brand new, all be it nearly 10 years old... 2015 manufacturer date, on a 2018 van!
1000009497.jpg

When putting it all back in, the 2nd (right) of the 2 bolts just kept turning, corrosion under the head - so I'll need to order a replacement one if those.

Haha... This will be why the top of the cap was spinning...

1000009498.jpg

It was barely hand tight when undoing it, and I now what the spare locking wheel nut tool is for in my glovebox!!

I was wondering why the bolts had different sized heads!!

I'll get it cleaned up and refitted!

Edit: also I've just found the original non locking bolt!

I've only had the van a year... :rofl:

Last edited:
Did you grease the bolts before putting them back? I'm forever grateful when I had to get the spare out in anger I'd dipped the bolts in a little copper grease when I fitted the SpareSafe...

Did you grease the bolts before putting them back? I'm forever grateful when I had to get the spare out in anger I'd dipped the bolts in a little copper grease when I fitted the SpareSafe...
Yeah I greased the original right one that I put back in, it had started to piss it down when I was putting the wheel back in so I'll grease the other one another time, it was fairly clean anyway.

I'll need to decide what to do spare wheel wise, when I come to change the wheels.

Last edited:
So in a previous post I let everyone know that Alpine's £269 CE-2100rd reversing camera has resolution issues with the Halo 11 by Alpine's own omission.

Glad to say CEN have acknowledged my issues of potential Halo 11 and facia damage in its return for a refund and have agreed for the return of the camera only leaving cabling insitu.

So a plug for practical support from CEN and a big thumbs down to Alpine UK support for never declaring this problem in the 4yrs of Halo 11 worldwide release and 2 yrs of Uk.

CEN will continue to get my business but never for anymore Alpine kit. Alpine appear not to believe product compatibility is a useful thing to Customers. Be aware but it might be ok on a Halo 9 and smaller

Back