What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Got my AMT 12-2 and ABB 007 bluetooth unit back from Ablemail. I was struggling to to link the ABB to the AMT, so after discussions with Jonathan Eagle, I sent the units back for investigation. They determined that my AMT unit was of the older generation and not compatable with the ABB. AMT reprogrammed and tested with ABB, all OK.
Brilliant service from Jonatahan Eagle to turn investigation/ repair around in short notice.

Washed the wheels. Yes, you read that right, just the wheels...

Because by the time I've finished work, and it's cooled off enough to wash any part of my van (which sits in the sun almost all day long) it's gone 6pm and by the time I've washed the wheels (citrus spray, rinse, wheel cleaner (autobrite purple rain), wheel brush, rinse, dry... x4) the daylight is running out and there's no chance I'd get the van washed before it's dark.

It's too hot during the day to wash it, being black and having no shade.

Before (my front brake pads give off shedloads of brake dust)
1000010361.jpg
1000010362.jpg
And after
1000010364.jpg
1000010363.jpg

Also gave them a spray with my new bottle of Geon wetcoat, on top off the ceramic coating, beads for days!!
1000010365.jpg

Now the wheels are clean, I can wash the rest of the van tomorrow evening.

Edit to say I do have a gazebo but I'm not sure if it's tall enough.

Black van + hard water + roasting sun = worst possible conditions for washing a car.

Last edited:
a rather unpleasant experience. Discovered water pipe into water tank coated in lovely bacterial slime. Major Milton attack and thorough brushing of water inlet pipe and tap pipe although that does jot look too bad. Never drank from the tank anyway

IMG_7365.jpeg

Washed the wheels. Yes, you read that right, just the wheels...

Because by the time I've finished work, and it's cooled off enough to wash any part of my van (which sits in the sun almost all day long) it's gone 6pm and by the time I've washed the wheels (citrus spray, rinse, wheel cleaner (autobrite purple rain), wheel brush, rinse, dry... x4) the daylight is running out and there's no chance I'd get the van washed before it's dark.

It's too hot during the day to wash it, being black and having no shade.

Before (my front brake pads give off shedloads of brake dust)
View attachment 257115
View attachment 257116
And after
View attachment 257117
View attachment 257118

Also gave them a spray with my new bottle of Geon wetcoat, on top off the ceramic coating, beads for days!!
View attachment 257119

Now the wheels are clean, I can wash the rest of the van tomorrow evening.

Edit to say I do have a gazebo but I'm not sure if it's tall enough.

Black van + hard water + roasting sun = worst possible conditions for washing a car.
Made the most of a cloudy and not scorching hot day, and spent 4hrs washing the van...

Bear in mind I did the wheels the other night (hadn't driven anywhere since) so that cuts out about 45 mins...

Citrus pre wash, rinse
Snowfoam, rinse
2 bucket wash, continually spraying down the rest of the van as it was still drying on thanks to the wind
Dry
Full coating of super resin polish - love this stuff. It can't work miracles but it gives a huge increase to gloss, deepening the blacks and hiding a good amount of light swirls, and even filling some of the heavier scratches
Wet the whole van again... :rofl:
Geon Wet Coat on the whole van, windows, solar panel... The beading was good with just the SRP but this takes it to another level. With a new drying towel it took me no time to fully dry the van, so much easier!
Then windows cleaned and wheels dried.

And... Done! o_O

Hopefully, now it's properly protected, it should only need a very quick wash before my euro trip in 2 weeks time.
1000010385.jpg
1000010389.jpg
1000010388.jpg
1000010387.jpg

Unfortunately with the roof rack and the sliding windows it drips more than an OAP at the urinal, so I'll be chasing water spots for the a while!! I'm very tempted to buy a blower to dry the van.

Last edited:
Fitted Renogy shunt to fogstar battery ready for core one integration. New under tray fitted successfully as well.

Slowly getting through some service items with oil and filter replaced.

I'm very tempted to buy a blower to dry the van.
If you're 'in bed' with a particular power tool brand and have tools n batteries then most of the brands have a diddly little blower just perfect for such blow-drying requirements. Makita does one around the £55 mark for the bare unit for example.

If you're 'in bed' with a particular power tool brand and have tools n batteries then most of the brands have a diddly little blower just perfect for such blow-drying requirements. Makita does one around the £55 mark for the bare unit for example.
Yeah I've got worx stuff, they do a leaf blower for £57 without battery
1000010400.png
And you can get a 3d printed short nozzle for car drying
1000010401.png

If you’re into drying your van, pet dryers are much cheaper than vehicle versions and can blow warm air as well. I have one of these generic types for the car (black) and motorbike. They help to stop rust forming on the brake discs after washing too.

This is also great to stop the brake disks going rusty then leaving the residue all over the nicely cleaned alloys:

If you’re into drying your van, pet dryers are much cheaper than vehicle versions and can blow warm air as well. I have one of these generic types for the car (black) and motorbike. They help to stop rust forming on the brake discs after washing too.
That does look good but I'd much prefer cordless with something like that - I'll need to blow water out of my roof rack and various other hard to reach places so a cordless blower is just so much easier to handle.

Another thing on the list... :rofl:

Washed mine today for the first time. To be fair it was pretty clean, but you chaps know what it's like when you get a new vehicle and you want it cleaned to your own standard.

Kept it old school as it was pretty clean anyway and the paint fairly clear, wash, dry, ceramic coat. Just took my time and enjoyed the process, pleasantly surprised that it wasn't pithing down with rain as forecast.

Not necessarily what I’ve done to the van today but had the rear sound deadened, insulated, carpeted and the panels trimmed in alcantara, plus extra USB ports and down lights with switchable ones in the tailgate. Done by RS Van Interiors in Norwich who did a faultless job

After that was done, fitted an Ovano Switch XL which so far seems like a quality bit of kit.

IMG_6815.jpeg

Not necessarily what I’ve done to the van today but had the rear sound deadened, insulated, carpeted and the panels trimmed in alcantara, plus extra USB ports and down lights with switchable ones in the tailgate. Done by RS Van Interiors in Norwich who did a faultless job

After that was done, fitted an Ovano Switch XL which so far seems like a quality bit of kit.

View attachment 257570
Do you have any other photos of how the steps are secured in the back please?

Back