What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Not done, but discovered today - presumably done last time I put the pop top down :cry:

View attachment 258700

Gutted. Barely six months old, and I'm really careful every time.
Only had some masking tape to hand, will attempt a proper repair job asap.
My pals T5.1 camper did the same.
But I noted on my T6 there’s an elastic strap on the inside close to the very bottom of the pop top.
It runs across the van side to side and is attached to the canvas with clips.
This pulls the canvas in as it closes to prevent this happening

Design flaw! Scissor hinges lethal to canvas
I wouldn't discount there being a design flaw, but it ain't necessarily down to the use of scissor hinges.

My roof has scissor hinges and I've never had the slightest problem. As @The Flying Scotsman alludes to, a well-designed canvas will have elastic straps that provide inward tension, thereby keeping the canvas away from the hinges and preventing it from billowing outwards when the roof is dropped.

A bungee strap of suitable length, stretched around the girth of the canvas is a simple alternative for those roofs that don't have an inbuilt tensioning system.

Plus one for Tear Aid. Brilliant stuff - I’ve had a similar a similar but slightly smaller tear in mine patched with it for 4 years now and it’s still good. Patch both sides and clean them with ipsopropyl alcohol before hand. It also helps if you an get someone to press a hardback book against the opposite side when you apply it.

I wouldn't discount there being a design flaw, but it ain't necessarily down to the use of scissor hinges.

My roof has scissor hinges and I've never had the slightest problem. As @The Flying Scotsman alludes to, a well-designed canvas will have elastic straps that provide inward tension, thereby keeping the canvas away from the hinges and preventing it from billowing outwards when the roof is dropped.

A bungee strap of suitable length, stretched around the girth of the canvas is a simple alternative for those roofs that don't have an inbuilt tensioning system.
I got a bungee strap as soon as bought my van for this very reason!

Gave mine a good clean and once I'd done that I sprayed the ends of the side bars with Buzzweld chassis guard lanolin spray, making sure to get a good spray up the insides or the tubes while I was at it.

Back