Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

Yeah. the battery is no help going down, as any powered assistance cuts out at 15mph anyway. The beauty is the hills. It is a heavy lump though at around 23KG. Wouldn't fancy getting up a hill with no power on the thing!

I don't use it as a mountain bike as such. Take it off road, yes, but not MTB trails as some do. tried it once, thought I was going to die, and scared me half to death. too old for that stuff. Considering getting more of an on road/gravel one TBH. Quite like the Orbea's.
I used to work part-time in a local bike shop. They were offered a free MTB uplift day with the Marin MTB Pro (Fin?) at Cymcarn in Wales. I'd never ridden a downhill course and dropped in 3rd behind him and the shop racing snake! I went over stuff following the guys in front that if I'd had time to think about it I'd have never done it. I went down a second time (having survived the first), can't remember if I managed a third but the adrenaline was too much so I rested out until they decided to do the cross-country route down - much more sweeping and flowing and far less terrifying!

Put the bike in the back and went to The Goyt Valley, which isn't that far from me. Quite hilly and from where I parked down to the reservoir is a nice long hill. Got to 66.9 KMH. Glad my brakes are quite new!

View attachment 169290Goyt Van by Nigel G, on Flickr

Didn't really know where I was going but found some off road routes and just went for it. Lovely countryside .

View attachment 169291Goyt by Nigel G, on Flickr

And this is what it is all about, having the van. Getting back for a brew. Luckily we keep other supplies in the van and I had spare clothes and pumps with me as I stood in the worlds biggest but most hidden pile of shit. Shoe went into a tied bin bag until I got home. Gagged my guts up cleaning it off. Came close to binning them and buying some more!

View attachment 169293Coffee time by Nigel G, on Flickr
Good brakes that can stop you at 66kph. What make are they?

Slow me down. If I had to stop quickly, I accept I'd be f****d.:eek:

As I told you last time we met, it actually quite worries me and I imagine losing all of my skin.

As I got to the end of the road, I applied harder. As I say, I realised how fast it was then.
It was meant to read ‘good brakes that can stop YOU at that speed. Lol

Looks perfect.

Great to meet you Paul, safe travels matey
Nice to meet you and the Mrs too Brian and for the guided tour of the Crafter. That is one hell of a nice machine you have there and I hope you have many happy trips in it.
Put me first in the queue if you ever think of selling......

Currently parked up at Abbaye de Citeaux near Dijon, courtesy of Park4night. Very quiet except some monk keeps ringing the bells !!
Had a chance to get to know my new (to me) Strada DL3 and confirm to myself the tailgate clears the bike....joy of joys.
Just got to inform the Chief Advisor of this purchase as I omitted to tell her when I left her behind in the UK.

IMG-20220819-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20220819-WA0028.jpeg

Wild camped last night just under a glacier at the top of a mountain called Dalsnibba. Probably the nicest place we’ve wild camped. Had to share it with a couple of Dutch motorhomes.
Note the use of the burger serving hatch while wifey stayed warm inside.
Had a half walk half run up towards the glacier but the weather turned and I only had shorts and a fleece and no phone signal so turned back.
Was a good decision as about 30 minutes later we had rain and low cloud that went right through the night.
B84B69A5-21CE-4BC3-B11C-BB25AE84A80A.jpegE06E8184-CCE0-47C0-9DC3-E0C639215CFB.jpeg2920AD55-4677-41BE-B80B-2F4BD5FFBFEC.jpeg

Went to Avon and Somerset Police Headquarters for Loz Jr(Chris) to do his charity abseil for WAGS, the retired police dogs charity.

If anyone would like to donate, here is Chris' just giving page.

IMG_3188.JPG1L0A2235 (1).jpeg1L0A2036.jpeg1L0A2330.jpeg

Back