Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

It's the C&MC site at Lleithyr Meadow. Good site; about 15 minutes walk down to Whitesands Bay and about 30 minutes walk the other way into St Davids.
There's also a regular bus service past the site entrance to the beach and St Davids (plus a few other stops).
Ameneties were clean and well maintained, staff friendly, pitches fairly level and well spaced and there's a well stocked shop about 200 metres away in the next campsite.

Well spotted on the seagull!

Not today, or even this week actually, last weeks holiday near Looe in Cornwall. Stayed in a lovely holiday let in Talland Bay. Didn’t really bother getting many pics of the van as the view from the hot tub was to good.
View attachment 169192
Stopped at Picket Post car park near Burley for a tea break on the way down
6BCC9F75-9904-4344-AF63-C01A82E74617.jpeg
Lots of time spent on Talland beach paddle boarding and enjoying the glorious weather (not so good now).
View attachment 169197
Did have to go into Looe for a half days looking round the tat shops but me the boy ducked out early and sat under the van awning and watched the world go by.
2E92EB1D-91CB-4B60-8DD1-FDD4B0E8452E.jpeg

CDA77314-0B0C-4E64-A8CA-CAB5808F1CAD.jpeg

Fantastic pics! Brilliant memories there

Not today, or even this week actually, last weeks holiday near Looe in Cornwall. Stayed in a lovely holiday let in Talland Bay. Didn’t really bother getting many pics of the van as the view from the hot tub was to good.
View attachment 169192
Stopped at Picket Post car park near Burley for a tea break on the way down
View attachment 169194
Lots of time spent on Talland beach paddle boarding and enjoying the glorious weather (not so good now).
View attachment 169197
Did have to go into Looe for a half days looking round the tat shops but me the boy ducked out early and sat under the van awning and watched the world go by.
View attachment 169198

View attachment 169196
Looe is lovely! We spent a fortnight there last month! Some of those tat shops are a bit posh though

It’s deffo a once in a lifetime bucket list type trip. Even with 4 weeks we’ve not gone as far north as I would have liked and we’ve not stayed long enough in some places.
I reckon at leat 6 weeks is needed, but 4 is enough to do a brilliant trip.
BMW do a motorbike tour over 3 weeks that takes in all the major sites and gets as far north as the artic circle. Have to balance going with them on my own or in the van with the wife:thumbsdown:

BMW do a motorbike tour over 3 weeks that takes in all the major sites and gets as far north as the artic circle. Have to balance going with them on my own or in the van with the wife:thumbsdown:
Got a link to this? Won’t your wife go pillion?

The van road trip has been amazing.
Would I do it on a motorbike? NO
It’s summer, and we’ve had a few days with biblical downpours and thunder storms. I’ve never been anywhere that can put down so much rain so quickly. Seen loads of bikers touring round with their tiny tents and wet clothing. Not for me.
In our 4 weeks we have been way into the Arctic Circle, as far as Tromso, and able to spend a few days on the Lofotens, which are truly spectacular. If you just get into the Arctic circle then you’ve missed a hell of a lot of the best stuff.
Between Trondheim and Bodo there is very little touristy stuff but you do cross the Arctic circle. it’s a hell of a distance. So you’d be driving into the Arctic Circle but then not doing all the amazing stuff that’s further north.
I wish I’d had time to go right up to the north coast and as far as the Russian border at Kirkenes, the north is mindblowingly spectacular.
It’s mega camper friendly, you can park up next to lakes, mountains, beaches, anywhere.
Also, I don’t have a motorbike.

Last edited:
Put the bike in the back and went to The Goyt Valley, which isn't that far from me. Quite hilly and from where I parked down to the reservoir is a nice long hill. Got to 66.9 KMH. Glad my brakes are quite new!

52294539834_258d1b3697_c.jpgGoyt Van by Nigel G, on Flickr

Didn't really know where I was going but found some off road routes and just went for it. Lovely countryside .

52294539459_c25aec8636_c.jpgGoyt by Nigel G, on Flickr

And this is what it is all about, having the van. Getting back for a brew. Luckily we keep other supplies in the van and I had spare clothes and pumps with me as I stood in the worlds biggest but most hidden pile of shit. Shoe went into a tied bin bag until I got home. Gagged my guts up cleaning it off. Came close to binning them and buying some more!

52293293952_086e093ca3_c.jpgCoffee time by Nigel G, on Flickr

Put the bike in the back and went to The Goyt Valley, which isn't that far from me. Quite hilly and from where I parked down to the reservoir is a nice long hill. Got to 66.9 KMH. Glad my brakes are quite new!

View attachment 169290Goyt Van by Nigel G, on Flickr

Didn't really know where I was going but found some off road routes and just went for it. Lovely countryside .

View attachment 169291Goyt by Nigel G, on Flickr

And this is what it is all about, having the van. Getting back for a brew. Luckily we keep other supplies in the van and I had spare clothes and pumps with me as I stood in the worlds biggest but most hidden pile of shit. Shoe went into a tied bin bag until I got home. Gagged my guts up cleaning it off. Came close to binning them and buying some more!

View attachment 169293Coffee time by Nigel G, on Flickr
Sounds like quite the day out. Good speed downhill, how quickly/easily does the battery help you get back up it?

Sounds like quite the day out. Good speed downhill, how quickly/easily does the battery help you get back up it?
Certainly makes it easier. On full power in 2nd/3rd gear I just keep pedalling with fair ease at around 12 kmh or so. If I'm feeling so inclined, I'll drop the power to make it harder. Doesn't happen very often though on long hills!

The speed downhill was freewheeling for the most part obviously and on tarmac, not track!

Last edited:
Certainly makes it easier. On full power in 2nd/3rd gear I just keep pedalling with fair ease at around 12 kmh or so. If I'm feeling so inclined, I'll drop the power to make it harder. Doesn't happen very often though on long hills!

The speed downhill was freewheeling for the most part obviously.
It's a long time since my mountain bike took me flying downhill. It doesn't have a battery so I always had to work hard to get back up the other side. I'm not sure my knees would forgive me these days for trying the climbs of my younger years.

It's a long time since my mountain bike took me flying downhill. It doesn't have a battery so I always had to work hard to get back up the other side. I'm not sure my knees would forgive me these days for trying the climbs of my younger years.
Yeah. the battery is no help going down, as any powered assistance cuts out at 15mph anyway. The beauty is the hills. It is a heavy lump though at around 23KG. Wouldn't fancy getting up a hill with no power on the thing!

I don't use it as a mountain bike as such. Take it off road, yes, but not MTB trails as some do. tried it once, thought I was going to die, and scared me half to death. too old for that stuff. Considering getting more of an on road/gravel one TBH. Quite like the Orbea's.

Back