Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

Not a million miles away, this is in Cairnsmore of Fleet nature reserve.
Raiders Road runs from Mossdale, which you can walk to on the old railway line.

There’s a nice little car parking area off the Raiders Road just by Stroan Viaduct where we saw a T5 setting up as we walked over. Will be checking that out at some point.
I used to have relatives that ran a guesthouse on the Solway Firth and loved going up there at the end of the summer to house sit for them when they went on holiday themselves and exploring the area in the car or on the bike. A lovely little corner of the world.

One year I hiked up the Merrick and only later realised that the SLR shutter had jammed so I have no record of the amazing view.

Only thing I noticed last time I visited was a lot of the forest drives had got more gated than I remember.

We love the area too, been numerous times, but this is the first time since Covid.
The difference this time is that the actual roads are in a terrible state, more holes than tarmac. I know I’ve got 20” wheels, but at times it was utterly unpleasant driving.

OK, it was a 5.1, not a T6.

And silver, not black.

But they did go out golfing, leaving the EHU cable plugged in and trailing on the grass :whistle:

The nice warden came along, shook his head, tutted a bit, then unplugged it and coiled it up on the chairs they had left out :think smile bounce:
Is this an etiquette thing?
Maybe I'm doing it wrong but my cable is plugged in when I'm off site too. Have a fridge to power

This week we are holidaying at Sherwood Castle forest holiday lodges. We have been here before, and it is convenient for visiting her in doors father and step mil. Yesterday I drove to Basingstoke overnight and back today to collect a work laptop a colleague brought back for me from a new job in Germany. Saved me the trip, and import tax getting it sent over.
The roads were not too bad until I got to Nottinghamshire where the water on the roads made the M1 slow and then departing to the holiday lodges, the local roads have lots and lots of floods closing roads, leading to 58 mins for a usual 30 min journey to see the parents in law.
Not looking forward to the drive back to Fife tomorrow…

This week we are holidaying at Sherwood Castle forest holiday lodges. We have been here before, and it is convenient for visiting her in doors father and step mil. Yesterday I drove to Basingstoke overnight and back today to collect a work laptop a colleague brought back for me from a new job in Germany. Saved me the trip, and import tax getting it sent over.
The roads were not too bad until I got to Nottinghamshire where the water on the roads made the M1 slow and then departing to the holiday lodges, the local roads have lots and lots of floods closing roads, leading to 58 mins for a usual 30 min journey to see the parents in law.
Not looking forward to the drive back to Fife tomorrow…
I certainly don't envy your trip back tomorrow, floatation aids required by the look of the news. Remember the air intake is low on these vans! Careful of dipping it in!!

1st trip for today was a drive to Wakefield, as that's where I work, when in the office
2nd trip was to drop some stuff off at @Alan@Crafted automotive to work his magic painting skills
3rd trip to Seat Surgeons | Custom Leather Car Seats & dropped off a couple of headrests, bought from @roooms at Busfest this year.
4th trip to drive home, that should have took no more than 1.5hrs, but because storm Babet decided to come out & play, took the Bus 4hrs with the last 3 miles taking over 1hr!!

Last edited:
1st trip to Wakefield, as that's where I work, when in the office
2nd trip to drop some stuff off at @Alan@Crafted automotive to work his magic painting skills
3rd trip to Seat Surgeons | Custom Leather Car Seats & dropped off a couple of headrests, bought from @roooms at Busfest this year.
4th trip to drive home, that should have took no more than 1.5hrs, but because storm Babet decided to come out & play, took the Bus 4hrs with the last 3 miles taking over 1hr!!
Strewth your not that far up the road from us. Our black lab (a water dog) was most put out when he didn't get a walk because he didn't want to go out in the rain!

1st trip to Wakefield, as that's where I work, when in the office
2nd trip to drop some stuff off at @Alan@Crafted automotive to work his magic painting skills
Was nice to put a face to the name and another lovely van

Today we drove home to Fife from Ollerton. It featured on the BBC News website as one of the badly affected places from the excess rainwater. Here is a snap from a video my other half took as we joined the A1 at Elkesley from Ollerton this morning.
The black beemer is also visible on the BBC News piece.

Screenshot_2023-10-21-23-33-25-07_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg

This was the last of the flood problems. Nottinghamshire appears to be very badly affected, either from field water run off, or swollen rivers spilling over to nearby roads.
This was the last of the flood waters. It was actually dry in Scotland with the sun and blue skies making an appearance.

Back