Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

We're now in Argeles-sur-Mer at Camping Criques de Portals (@Higgidav - there was no room at our place!) and booked in until at least next Wednesday. Not done much exploring yet but the site itself is nice in a typically french way albeit quite expensive at €40 per night as we're out of the ACSI/CC discount period but I guess you're in part paying for proximity to the med - the site is tiered and the sea in viewable from the tier above us (where the pictures were taken. It was busy when we arrived early afternoon but now seems to be pretty well full. It tipped it down earlier this afternoon and van, awning and tent are all covered in a very fine dust which the rain left behind (@Higgidav - suspect you got the same?). I washed my windows afterwards but was amazed at the number of vans and motorhomes that seemed to get the full valet treatment.05 Crique 1.jpg05 Crique 2.jpg

We're now in Argeles-sur-Mer at Camping Criques de Portals (@Higgidav - there was no room at our place!) and booked in until at least next Wednesday. Not done much exploring yet but the site itself is nice in a typically french way albeit quite expensive at €40 per night as we're out of the ACSI/CC discount period but I guess you're in part paying for proximity to the med - the site is tiered and the sea in viewable from the tier above us (where the pictures were taken. It was busy when we arrived early afternoon but now seems to be pretty well full. It tipped it down earlier this afternoon and van, awning and tent are all covered in a very fine dust which the rain left behind (@Higgidav - suspect you got the same?). I washed my windows afterwards but was amazed at the number of vans and motorhomes that seemed to get the full valet treatment.View attachment 247163View attachment 247164
Is the pop up tent to throw all the bits and pieces in so not taking up space in the van?

Thanks
Just landed and looks a good set up you drive passed the town and so easy walk
Will look at the boat trips
Lunch first then off to explore
Cheers everyone for the advice
Plenty of Uk vans on the site at the moment
Camping Memling last stop of our 2600km tour
View attachment 247125View attachment 247126
Glad you like it :)

Anyway I Trump your 2600km with our 3600km round trip. :D

@Ayjay we are still paying ACSI rates at the site we are on (21euro per night) plus tax. The facilities are perfectly ok and are cleaned every couple of hours. I thought most sites are still out of season until 30th June albeit I see your site ended low season on 13th June. Yes it rained a lot more than was forecast but looks much better tomorrow. Unfortunately there was a lot of sand in the rain so I will be searching for a jet wash when we leave although I do know there is one next to Aldi. The site is still busy but quite a few left this morning after the rain during the night. It must be school holidays somewhere as there a quite a few kids around.

Last edited:
Is the pop up tent to throw all the bits and pieces in so not taking up space in the van?
Sure is. It's a Quechua Air 2 Seconds from Decathlon that we've had for a few years now and bought for just that purpose. Literally take seconds to put up by undoing three QR buckles and standing back before it hits you in the face when it springs apart. Importantly, it only takes a few minutes to take down as well - Mrs AJ is in charge of that bit and has it well and truly cracked. it takes all the kit easily and has been in some foul weather without ever letting in water. IIRC it was about £60 when we bought it - you can buy much cheaper popup tents (seen them as low as £20) but I doubt they would ever be as good or last as long. If ours died tomorrow, I'd go straight to the nearest Decathlon and get another one. One of these but ours is in slightly different colours:

Not a van weekend this weekend, the old faithful XC70 takes the strain hauling a field PA/Music system and a BBQ trailer to feed 500 people at the local village summer extravaganza.

I'm not saying my BBQ design is powerful but it was nick named long ago The Iron Smelter and experienced operators know not to lean across it. 2 folks cooking either side and one unloading at the end and you can flame grill a decent catering burger in a few minutes.

20240622_124309.JPG

Back