Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

From paying for a large pitch near Paris (that we didn't really use, due to it simply being a place to abandon the caravan for 3 nights whilst we stayed at Disney Hotel), we today moved nearly 1700m above sea level to Le Domaine du Trappeur to a tiny pitch with great views. Here for a couple of nights before we move on to Lake Garda for our main destination for a week.
IMG_1850.jpeg
The van was operating at the upper end of its capability towing up the French Alps in 30-35 degrees or heat. The aircon momentarily gave up when engine temp crept up to 120 degrees where I eased things back to 2nd gear to complete the climb at 20 mph. I assume that there is some priority valve somewhere in the cooling system when things get too hot to handle?
Oil temp crept up to 137 degrees at one point!
Normal operation was restored after giving the girl an easier time. Other than the requirement to pay attention the temps, the van behaved and proved a pretty formidable tow vehicle.

From paying for a large pitch near Paris (that we didn't really use, due to it simply being a place to abandon the caravan for 3 nights whilst we stayed at Disney Hotel), we today moved nearly 1700m above sea level to Le Domaine du Trappeur to a tiny pitch with great views. Here for a couple of nights before we move on to Lake Garda for our main destination for a week.
View attachment 253099
The van was operating at the upper end of its capability towing up the French Alps in 30-35 degrees or heat. The aircon momentarily gave up when engine temp crept up to 120 degrees where I eased things back to 2nd gear to complete the climb at 20 mph. I assume that there is some priority valve somewhere in the cooling system when things get too hot to handle?
Oil temp crept up to 137 degrees at one point!
Normal operation was restored after giving the girl an easier time. Other than the requirement to pay attention the temps, the van behaved and proved a pretty formidable tow vehicle.

Hats of to you, that's a long stint in 1 day in those conditions and towing a caravan

E
Hats of to you, that's a long stint in 1 day in those conditions and towing a caravan
Easy roads for nearly all of the drive though. Just the last 30 miles that were hard on the van and it really didn't like me pushing her up the mountains with 2 tons of luggage annd caravan on board. She would only do it on her own terms, but was very capable nonetheless!
The wife was doing my nut in as well, fussing over the inevitable certain death (if you were stupid enough to drive off the edge of the mountain roads!).... She chose the site!
This site is not remotely suitable for our big old LWB T6 and twin axle caravan. The pitches are way too small and to be honest this reduces the enjoyment of the trip quite a bit! The driving and the trips are fine, but I'd expect decent sites when you prepay reasonable money for the pitches. This place has no water other than from the sinks, the pitches are weeny and having negotiated the (expected) mountainous roads, access into the campsite is mega tight with around 20mm each side of the caravan as you access the site!

Up another hill! This time car park was 2000m above sea level, but kids made me climb rest of way to summit of Saint-Colomban-Des-Villards in the French Alps!
IMG_1861.jpeg
Tried highlighting the van in red circle! Epic views are not really done justice by my crappy photography skills!

Last edited:
Love it. Did you build the Kayak yourself? I really want to build a cedar strip kayak.
Had to do a double take on your second photo. Thought you'd driven into a rock!
I did build the kayak, from a kit from Fyne Boat Kits. My build of it is linked on their page. It has a cedar strip deck, and ply hull. I did a Wood Duckling kayak for the kids, and liked it so much I went for the Shearwater Sport Hybrid for me.

I did build the kayak, from a kit from Fyne Boat Kits. My build of it is linked on their page. It has a cedar strip deck, and ply hull. I did a Wood Duckling kayak for the kids, and liked it so much I went for the Shearwater Sport Hybrid for me.

Thanks. Good to know. That's the kit I've been looking at.

Back