Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

It will be raining in Skye, we may be lucky!
Are you looking for free camping off grid pitches on Skye Wayne?
Pm me if so mate
Also as mentioned midgies are only really bad on west coast. Further north worse they get.
They normally only come out at night or early morning.
If there’s a breeze it stops them. Rain doesn’t.
Hope you packed a hand held hoover ?

Pm me if so mate
Also as mentioned midgies are only really bad on west coast. Further north worse they get.
Yep wind is their kryptonite, anything over 2-3mph I think and they can't fly. So the typical moist, windless evenings in the Highlands will be infested with them!

Smidge is a must, tbh even for general fly repellent.

Yep wind is their kryptonite, anything over 2-3mph I think and they can't fly. So the typical moist, windless evenings in the Highlands will be infested with them!

Smidge is a must, tbh even for general fly repellent.
Yeh smidge works best but not cheap stuff.
A head net is also a good investment if you don’t mind looking like a tw@t

Pm me if so mate
I'm guessing a dustpan and brush won't cut it Gord! But, we do have 2 of these as recommended by @Martinf , courtesy of the amazon.

20240806_210029.jpg

I'm guessing a dustpan and brush won't cut it Gord! But, we do have 2 of these as recommended by @Martinf , courtesy of the amazon.

View attachment 254138
We’ve had varying results with ours mate. Didn’t think it was doing a thing most nights but it did have some dead ones stuck to it.
Switching off all lights bar one then hoovering them up around the light is by miles the best way I’ve found to get rid of the them inside the van.
Nothing worse than going to sleep with your arms out the bed then getting woken up by them eating your arms

This has been a brilliant buy.
£20 from B&M.
Charge it up before we leave and it last the holiday.
It takes up very little room too.
Tend to use a brush and dustpan to keep van tidy and keep this for the midgies
View attachment 254140
I'll be scouring Edinburgh tomorrow for one of those! Saying that, according to the dear old BBC, the minimum windspeed on Skye will be 10mph...

It will be raining in Skye, we may be lucky!
I’m sure the rain won’t keep the crowds away though @Drive Wayne, so be prepared to hide away. It was manic when we were there in May; cars, campervans, even a gigantic cruise liner anchored off Portree. The Outer Hebrides and even the mainland were much quieter.
If you are in the north near Staffin then The Hungry Gull is a nice cafe/ restaurant. The dinosaur footprints are reasonably nearby too.
But do have a good time.

Pm me if so mate
Is a hand held hoover the weapon of choice?

Moving back south, after Sibbertoft we took ourselves over to Ely, staying at Slade Paddock in Witcham. We were somewhat bemused to be greeted at the campsite gate head on by the fork prongs from a parked high lift loader. It was the site’s ‘weapon of choice’ against unwanted campers!

IMG_1874.jpeg

Moving back south, after Sibbertoft we took ourselves over to Ely, staying at Slade Paddock in Witcham. We were somewhat bemused to be greeted at the campsite gate head on by the fork prongs from a parked high lift loader. It was the site’s ‘weapon of choice’ against unwanted campers!

View attachment 254151
I’m sure a lot of unwanted campers would love to see that by the gate, save them coming in to nick it!

Last night at Witches Craig, Stirling. Off to Skye in the morning.
I would certainly recommend this site, gents bathrooms/showers a little dated, but great if you are no taller than 5 foot 4!
Small washing up room, 2 sinks, but water to burn your skin off!
Quite windy this evening and the Mrs was getting stroppy with the new Cadac 2 cook 3, @BoroBoy have you still got those wingy thingies?
There's a dozen T6's stopping here tonight half of which don't speak the England.
A really great mid Scotland stop off zone, and still not that busy.
Adventure awaits tomorrow...

20240807_203120.jpg

I would certainly recommend this site, gents bathrooms/showers a little dated, but great if you are no taller than 5 foot 4!
Quite windy this evening and the Mrs was getting stroppy with the new Cadac 2 cook 3, @BoroBoy have you still got those wingy thingies?
There's a dozen T6's stopping here tonight half of which don't speak the England.

View attachment 254285

aye great little site huh. stayed last year on the way up to Inverness.
the Ochil Hills (that overlook the site) are a great walk too...

View attachment 254285
@Drive Wayne- Sure have Wayne. Shall I bring a set to Busfest for you?

Back