Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

Last day on Skye yesterday, the weather was kinder, a balmy 14 degrees.
Our planned trip to Neist point was cancelled due to a moho going over the edge of a passing point on the lead up 'track' and becoming completely stuck. No chance of getting past.
A change of plans and we did the Old Man of Storr hike.
The weather was pleasant and for the first time the midges came out to play, and those horrible black fly things.
The weather this morning is atrocious, high winds, pouring rain.
Off to the Fort William C&C club site later where the weather looks fair.
Naturally a few photos of yesterday's exploits...

IMG-20240811-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20240811-WA0040.jpg

IMG-20240811-WA0042.jpg

20240811_151136.jpg

Outdoorsy stuff and things that will keep a 6 year old entertained.

We enjoyed scrambling up Brimham rocks yesterday and have booked Forgotten Corner for later in the week

You could.....
Head to Skipton - there's the castle and woods.
Grassington Lead Mining Trail (starting from either Yarnbury or Hebden).
Malham is always a winner.
Settle - visit Victoria/Jubilee cave.
Stainforth - Catrigg Force or Stainforth Force waterfalls - The 'Dales Dippers' swim here.

Outdoorsy stuff and things that will keep a 6 year old entertained.

We enjoyed scrambling up Brimham rocks yesterday and have booked Forgotten Corner for later in the week
Cool. Everything that monkeybusiness has said. The falls at Stainforth are good. Other thoughts:

Stump Cross Caverns

Circular walk from Malham village to cove then Gordale Scar and back to Malham.

Climbing wall in Harrogate if weather not so good - Rooster brewery taproom next door for a pint too.

Fountains Abbey near Ripon.

Little Simon’s Seat if you fancy doing a hill.

Bolton Abbey.

Grassington village. Nice walk along river to Burnsall (pub and cafe).

Lightwater Valley (not as good as it was but ok for a 6 year old).

Flamingoland - theme park with bigger rides.

White Horse on North York Moors and walk/cycle to High Paradise Farm (fantastic cafe). Bike hire available at the White Horse. Great views across Vale of York to Dales.

You could.....
Head to Skipton - there's the castle and woods.
Grassington Lead Mining Trail (starting from either Yarnbury or Hebden).
Malham is always a winner.
Settle - visit Victoria/Jubilee cave.
Stainforth - Catrigg Force or Stainforth Force waterfalls - The 'Dales Dippers' swim here.
Thank you... Malham certainly on the list. Will look at the others. May need more than a week!

Cool. Everything that monkeybusiness has said. The falls at Stainforth are good. Other thoughts:

Stump Cross Caverns

Circular walk from Malham village to cove then Gordale Scar and back to Malham.

Climbing wall in Harrogate if weather not so good - Rooster brewery taproom next door for a pint too.

Fountains Abbey near Ripon.

Little Simon’s Seat if you fancy doing a hill.

Bolton Abbey.

Grassington village. Nice walk along river to Burnsall (pub and cafe).

Lightwater Valley (not as good as it was but ok for a 6 year old).

Flamingoland - theme park with bigger rides.

White Horse on North York Moors and walk/cycle to High Paradise Farm (fantastic cafe). Bike hire available at the White Horse. Great views across Vale of York to Dales.
Amazing....thanks for the additional recommendations

Well, we find ourself at the Glencoe C&CC site, on the way back down to sunny England, very pleasant, very clean site.
The sun is out, typically the forecast for tomorrow is shocking! If I bought a 3 legged stool, it would rock!
We were soaked this Morning in Skye, my Mrs (Florence Nightingale 2nd) felt we had to help a family in trouble with their 8 man tent which had given up hope in the gales.
As a parting gift, Skye gave us a rainbow!
2 nights here then off back home...
All in all a fabulous, if not soaking break!

20240812_093446.jpg

20240812_195554.jpg

20240812_172518.jpg

Screenshot_20240812_195837_BBC Weather.jpg

Just had a great weekend at Wharfedale Club Campsite near Grassington with Mrs and kids, mam and dad also came along in their Dethleffs. Great site with decent pub and use of pool next door at Long ashes park. Off to Coppice again at Coniston tomorrow making most of a couple of weeks off work.
E3EF9285-AEAF-4502-A4FC-502C975235D2.jpeg

Drove down to Falmouth from Cambridge Thursday for a weekend of bike racing, then back to Cambridge Sunday night. Unload, reload and up to Porthmadog for a week.

8370Km on our Norway trip last month....just sayin;)

Good effort though Jump Ship!
Just back from our Norway one too!
(Slowly working through the backlog of updates on my thread:
I thought it was worthwhile so others can use it in future... like how I found your thread very useful when I was prepping)...

...and we managed about 7,200km ourselves despite 'only' going as far north as Ålesund (whereas you went to Lofoten right!?).

I'm surprised yours wasn’t that much higher than our mileage?
I guess it shows you how much mileage you can get from wiggling around the fjords compared to the fairly straight-line up through Sweden?
(And I guess we had to get down from Scotland! And there was a bit of UK wiggling first as we went to near London to see our son and then back up to near Brum to visit CRS Performance!! Before heading back down to relatives near Bath and then to the Chunnel...)

Last edited:
Just back from our Norway one too!
(Slowly working through the backlog of updates on my thread:
I thought it was worthwhile so others can use it in future... like how I found your thread very useful when I was prepping)...

...and we managed about 7,200km ourselves despite 'only' going as far north as Ålesund (whereas you went to Lofoten right!?).

I'm surprised yours wasn’t that much higher than our mileage?
I guess it shows you how much mileage you can get from wiggling around the fjords compared to the fairly straight-line up through Sweden?
(And I guess we had to get down from Scotland! And there was a bit of UK wiggling first as we went to near London to see our son and then back up to near Brum to visit CRS Performance!! Before heading back down to relatives near Bath and then to the Chunnel...)
Hey mate...yeah we're only 140 odd miles to the Tunnel from here and then we were 2K mls to Lofoten so wiggling around certainly adds the miles on in no time.

How were the midges?...ant any queue's?

Hope you had a great time and made so many memories. :cool:

And finally, thank goodness I hear you say!
Glenfinnan, Fort William was our last stop today dodging the showers. A lovely couple of hours going up the path to see the Glenfinnan viaduct taken over by Hairy Potter fame. Every time we go up north wifey says we should go and see that, and today was the day! Lovely afternoon excursion and timed just right to see the/a steam train chug across the viaduct.
£10 for parking a motorhome mind! Couldn't afford the train fare after that!
Lovely half day out!

Screenshot_20240813_164128_WhatsApp.jpg

20240813_160827.jpg

20240813_154824.jpg

20240813_154024.jpg

20240813_152420.jpg

Back