AdBlue Discussion and Issues

I struggle with the idea of paying a manufacturer to repeatedly do corrective maintenance on their poorly designed equipment, it wouldn’t happen in the industrial sector so why in the automotive market?
If it’s planned maintenance there is a formal service schedule, if it’s not planned maintenance it’s corrective maintenance. If there is the need for the same frequent corrective maintenance across many units it either needs to be incorporated into a planned maintenance schedule or re-engineered.
Power to the people :mexican wave:

Last edited:
pretty much what I just said to them, im not happy hence why I asked if the carbon clean works as its cheaper.
I was thinking of a new crafter for our work van, not if its using the same engine.
I will be getting a sprinter

My EGR is screwed. I’ve just paid £522 for a new one and will have to get it fitted now.

It’s a pain, but mine’s out of warranty and I can’t be bothered with flush after flush etc.

58E36594-DDDF-433B-AB61-D15E93FC8A23.jpeg

Last edited:
the Vw dealers told me even replacing it will not cure and you need to flush the new ones ,unless its a new design
I figured that, but this should buy me a few trouble free miles. They were evasive as to whether the design was updated anyhow.

This was produced in August 2020, so should be as up to date as possible I guess.

ditto, only ever use branded premium fuel. I try and keep the revs down too to avoid production of too much black smoke, but I wonder whether it’s better to give it an ‘Italian Tune Up’ every now and again.
@Spaghetti so when you say branded premium fuel do you mean Shell V Power for example?
Just a suggestion, but try using the regular diesel from time to time with some Millers Diesel Power Eco Max.... I’ve been using it for a few years on my pick up and now my T6.
Also I think it helps (when properly warmed up) to give it some through the gears.... don’t worry about the black smoke/soot, I doubt you’ll ever see it.... after all that’s what your DPF is for! Go on, give it some! :thumbsup:

@Spaghetti so when you say branded premium fuel do you mean Shell V Power for example?
Just a suggestion, but try using the regular diesel from time to time with some Millers Diesel Power Eco Max.... I’ve been using it for a few years on my pick up and now my T6.
Also I think it helps (when properly warmed up) to give it some through the gears.... don’t worry about the black smoke/soot, I doubt you’ll ever see it.... after all that’s what your DPF is for! Go on, give it some! :thumbsup:
I agree, although the more you boot it, the harder the DPF has to work.

I tend to use Costco premium, although I’ve used Millers additive in the past too.

I’ve had VAG and BMW diesels for 15 years and done over 270,000 miles in them, and the only one I’ve had grief with is the T6.:mad:

Last edited:
I agree, although the more you boot it, the harder the DPF has to work.

I tend to use Costco premium, although I’ve used Millers additive in the past too.

I’ve had VAG and BMW diesels for 15 years and done over 270, 000 miles in them, and the only one I’ve had grief with is the T6.:mad:
I know what you mean Fella.... they don’t make stuff like they used to!
There’s too much emphasis on the emissions bulls#it.... to the detriment of a bloody good van! :thumbsup:

No issues except:

When I bought the van I was told by main stealer that a warning would come on and 1800km till empty,
I've refilled once and had the van serviced.

Last week the warning came on with 2400km to empty (its very annoying)
rang VW and was told that it could be a fault so if have to book it in..... which i didnt have time for as im a very important person :rofl::rofl:

While in the area I called in and asked if I could get a faster date only to be told that VW changed the warning from 1800 to 2400 because people would drive their can/van till dry :mad::mad:

Very annoying and a waste of time

Hi,
My T6 display is now telling me that I have a range of 1400 miles left in the ad-blue tank. It says to fill with 100ml ad-blue.

As this is my first time adding ad-blue to a vehicle am I better off waiting until the tank empties a bit more and filling it with a larger volume of ad-blue? I am sure I read somewhere (probably here) that the tank sensor doesn't register small additions.

Any recommendations as what to do much appreciated.

I think I let mine get slightly lower and put 10 litres in.

I’d double check the 100ml message on the dash - thats about a cup full!

There are three things I’ve picked up from the archives - 1) if you let it go too low it will go into limp mode / stop completely. 2) dont overfill it - it confuses the sensors. 3) when you do fill it, switch the ignition on for 30 seconds without starting it, so it registers the fill.

I was nervous filling it first time due to all the potential problems but it was fine. If all else fails read the manual.

Good Luck.

Ian

Reactions: CAB
Great advice above.
I would do it now. Just make sure not to add more than the display says. Find an adblue pump if you can so at least you can be exact. I have been filling mine when it dropped to 2000 miles and( touch wood) no issues on both vans.

Number one rule appears to be don’t try and put in more than the dash display says.
100ml is a tiny amount - is that a typo ?

Pete

I've just done mine. The display was: range 1,400 miles remaining and to add between 1.75 & 2.5 gallons. Mindful of not over filling I put 10 litres of Redex adblue in which is 2.199 gallons. It now registers the next top up at 5,500 miles.

I would assume at that mileage it’s 10L rather than 100ml, but check carefully, as I’ve fallen foul of over filling once before!

What are the issues with over-filling the tank??? Last time, I just brimmed it, like putting fuel in :oops:

Back