AdBlue Discussion and Issues

Hi mate, apparently it was only a certain few and mine wasn't one of them that needed it...
Interesting... when was that? I'm pretty confident ALL have the update available but a few got it late (the last update batch came out March 2020). When yours was built?
Could you please post the engine code (on a sticker under dash) - something like CAAB, CXFA, etc. so I could have a peek.
Even better would be if you had a diagnostic tool and could check/post ECU details - the software revision is in there in the details.

Agreed, but just lost all confidence in it, all modern vehicles seem to be having the same issues, to many sensors to combat emissions etc....would love to keep but just can't be bothered with wondering if it's going to chuck up a light any second, got a couple of months till the warranty runs out then he's gone I'm afraid...:((

Hi all how do I know if my vans had a software update done. I don’t know I have only had it for 3 months. 68k 2017 DSG

Hi all how do I know if my vans had a software update done. I don’t know I have only had it for 3 months. 68k 2017 DSG
  • VW should have a record in their files, or
  • Letting VW hook into diagnostic port - their system then tells if there are updates a) available b) mandatory.
  • By reading engine identifier data by a proper diagnostic tool (VCDS, OBDeleven, VCP) and contributing the information here for comparison - to see if anyone has newer software. However, this seems to be a bit slow as people are sparingly sharing the information.
An example of contribution package which would be nice as they all factor in.
- Vehicle class + model year (shown in VIN, except 4 last digits)​
- Engine base type + it's software load​
- Gearbox type + it's software load (none in the manual)​
- 4Motion + it's software load​

1598779567649.png

So, at 2,500 miles on a brand new van I got my first Ad-Blue indication on the dash.

It wanted 1.5g to 2.75g and it indicated 1400m. The guide book suggested this was a miles left figure but was full of scary stuff like engine not starting I bought some while away (it matches spec in the book).

So, does anyone have any easy ways to fill Ad-Blue strategies because this seems like a pain in the ass.

I've topped it that Saturday. Indicator showed less gallons needed and more miles covered. Did it again when I got back to the site and it went to less gallons needed and more miles.

That seems good but its still not gone away. You're not supposed to let it get empty but not over fill it but you can't tell? So what do people do to manage Ad-Blue? Is there any toys to make doing easier? Should be checking some display on the dash myself?

I do realise I need to master the dash, it needs changing away from gallons for one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading some sites it suggests Ad-Blue should need topping up every 5000-8000 miles I am concerned this vehicle has asked for a top up at 2500.

Do I need to worry about this? It's not been driven aggressively and has done this 2.5K from December 2019, is not a daily driver and has been sat on the drive during lockdown.

Sorry for posting here as well as in another subgroup but that one seemed to get lost.

I have had a 1400m Ad-Blue Warning. So I went and go some and refilled it twice. Each time the mile range went up and the amount needed went down - which seems good.

My confusion is : should this have happened at 2.5k miles on a well driven van that is not a daily driver? It's done these miles from December 2019 and was not use during lockdown. The miles were from a cold start of 70m.

Also, does the mechanism cut off to stop you overfilling? Every website shouts about not overfilling but unless it cuts off it its like a game of chicken.

I suppose it depends whether tightwad VW filled the tank from new. The first warning comes on at 1400m. I normally wait till 9-800m then either whack a 10l bottle in or fill it at my local garage until the pump cuts off. Never had a problem with it.

Wait.. you can fill AdBlue at the garage. I've not seen these pumps?

I think part of the problem is whenever you read about it they talk as if using it is going to give you two heads, it touching the paint work is going to bore a whole In your can like the acid blood off of aliens and as soon as you open you AdBlue it's useless.

And don't get me started on did you look at your AdBlue the wrong way - sorry its contaminated and your vehicle is doomed. The web is often a nightmare.

Makes it all sound very difficult but I am thinking half of it is bollocks - though I'd immediately was down a spill.

And good point on whether the vehicle was ever full. I like the easy answer!!!

It really is bollocks, it’s not Satan’s urine that will destroy everything it touches and it’s not a massive mystery how to make it work. I’m like Deaky, I normally wait until it says I’ve got space for 10L then i go to a service station that has Adblue (google for a list of places in the uk, there’ll be one near to you cos lorries use it by the bucketload). i don’t wait for it to click, I just put in 10L, generally I’m doing this about every 4500-ish miles. In the beginning I put it in from a bottle, either way is fine but it’s much cheaper at a pump. If you spill some on the paintwork, wipe it off as soon as you can - no one will die and it won’t show.

Got it. Will search for pumps I like this idea. I read so many sites saying I can't use it as its for trucks.

I keep forgetting I am not in a car and the van is essentially a light good vehicle so counts.

And yes, the fear approach of the Internet is a continually pain.

Got it. Will search for pumps I like this idea. I read so many sites saying I can't use it as its for trucks.

I keep forgetting I am not in a car and the van is essentially a light good vehicle so counts.

i think it’s almost certain that they didn’t fill it when you got it, just follow the warnings when they come up and you’ll be fine

I fill the wife’s car at the local garage too. There isn’t one adblue for trucks and one for cars. It’s the same stuff.

Switch the display temporarily to metric and get the min and max figures in litres, don’t over fill and turn on the ignition and leave it for 30seconds before starting and driving off.

When Adblue is full the display says that the range is 6000 miles. Consumption is between 500 - 600 miles per litre. So I leave it until the range falls to 4000 - 3500 and then add 2 litres. I do this so that on a long trip Adblue range is not an issue. Like Deaky I use an Adblue pump at a filing station but I fill a 10 litre container and bring it home, so most refilling is done at home. At about 60p/ liter it is much cheaper then pre filled containers. The number of Adblue stations is quite small I believe but usually available on motorways. If close to Witney in Oxfordshire then there is one between Witney and Minster Lovel - Texaco.

Back