AdBlue Discussion and Issues

Unless you are heading that way anyway it may well cost you more once you have added in the fuel cost. Maybe?

Unless you are heading that way anyway it may well cost you more once you have added in the fuel cost. Maybe?

Quite possibly. I want to check it out though. Beyond that it's the cartons and all the overfilling paranoia stories haha.

The annoying thing about the 10L plastic carton is the screw on funnel could not be made absolutely liquid proof so I had to manage very small leak.

There may be some better container options.

I don't have any problems with the 10L container but then I first pour the AdBlue into a 1L measuring jug then fill the tank on the basis of 1L per 500 miles. If you do spill any onto the vehicle, screw down the blue cap then rinse with water. The AdBlue is quite corrosive.

I suppose it depends whether tightwad VW filled the tank from new. The first warning comes on at 1400m. I normally wait till 9-800m then either whack a 10l bottle in or fill it at my local garage until the pump cuts off. Never had a problem with it.

@Deaky is there a procedure to reset the display once you've whacked the 10 litres in..?

I did mine yesterday after waiting for the warnings to get down to 600 miles to go when the orange lamp comes on within the MFD.

I simply poured the 10L in, switch the ignition on (don’t start the engine) and wait until it registers and says something like 5,000 miles to empty then start the van. It is very simple, unless of course you’re one of the unlucky people with a van that has the issues...

As Broadside says, just pour in and wait for the display to update. The update is not always fast. Sometimes the van needs a drive round the block. I think the sensor is a capacitance device and these can be slow.

Another update...

Just got my van back from the Inchcape Manchester Van Service Centre and they did indeed flush the EGR for free. They also gave me a software upgrade which will add more Adblue to reduce the emissions and they have said there is a small link to the blocking of the EGR because of this. And finally they gave me 8 free fill ups of Adblue because the van will start to use more of it.

I guess I'll have to wait and see how long it takes for this problem to raise its ugly head again but a bit relieved it didn't cost me a fortune this time!

don't want to put a downer on it, but it made no difference to my velle.

However listers only gave me 4 free fills.

Another update...

Just got my van back from the Inchcape Manchester Van Service Centre and they did indeed flush the EGR for free. They also gave me a software upgrade which will add more Adblue to reduce the emissions and they have said there is a small link to the blocking of the EGR because of this. And finally they gave me 8 free fill ups of Adblue because the van will start to use more of it.

I guess I'll have to wait and see how long it takes for this problem to raise its ugly head again but a bit relieved it didn't cost me a fortune this time!
How was the Inchcape experience? Not had many good Reviews of the Manchester van centre.

How was the Inchcape experience? Not had many good Reviews of the Manchester van centre.

I've been there a few times and it's never been pleasant. This morning when I dropped the van off the guy was fairly aggressive and defensive when I questioned certain things. When I went back this afternoon another chap was much more polite. I'd prefer to go somewhere else but it's the closest one!

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
@Deaky is there a procedure to reset the display once you've whacked the 10 litres in..?

what he said :)

I did mine yesterday after waiting for the warnings to get down to 600 miles to go when the orange lamp comes on within the MFD.

I simply poured the 10L in, switch the ignition on (don’t start the engine) and wait until it registers and says something like 5,000 miles to empty then start the van. It is very simple, unless of course you’re one of the unlucky people with a van that has the issues...

Another update...

Do VW dealers carry out the software update out of warranty for free or is it chargeable do you know?

I've got 3 VwT6's. All sub 50k mikes. All 3 have been back to VW 3 times each with engine lights on. Flushed each time. All 3 have all just gone again. From what I'm reading here its fairly common. They all do good long runs each day. They're all out of warranty now, but I'll be damned if I'll be paying for them to keep getting flushed as its an ongoing, existing issue. Will keep everyone posted.

I've got 3 VwT6's. All sub 50k mikes. All 3 have been back to VW 3 times each with engine lights on. Flushed each time. All 3 have all just gone again. From what I'm reading here its fairly common. They all do good long runs each day. They're all out of warranty now, but I'll be damned if I'll be paying for them to keep getting flushed as its an ongoing, existing issue. Will keep everyone posted.
mine yas also been flushed 3 times ,the light came on again over the last week ,the old t5 egr was piss easy to take off and clean this looks a saga

Just been quoted £250 from vw for the egr flush has anyone tried carbon clean for this service ? .Also Vw said it would need to fail a flush 6 times before they would replace the Egr and it sometimes still needs flushing .Lordy

Back