Campsite costs UK

MacDonalds Farm? We went there a couple of years back but you need to catch the bus into Padstein as it's about 4 miles away.
Sadly with Padstein being just over the Camel estuary from Rock you're going to pay a premium thanks to the Sunday supplement clickbait and autograph hunters.
Having just come back from being vapour blasted at Tintagel you can stick Cornwall, rugged and wild when the sun is shining but bleak and wild when it's persisting down.:cry:

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
£75 for 4 nights is a bargain Ayjay :thumbsdown:
Never stayed at Easewell but have used Twitchen for many years and they do have some good deals at certain times of the year (i suppose just fill pitches).
Made the mistake of going over to woolecombe sands (on the left on the way into woolacombe itself) ....have vowed NEVER again !!

Further to the hygiene, bathing costume discussion - until I came to this country I had never had to shower before entering the pool.
Perhaps in Oz the chlorine mix is higher?
I remember it made the news one year at the Australian Institute of Sport as the mix was too strong and the swimmers were complaining about hair loss :eek:

Further to the hygiene, bathing costume discussion - until I came to this country I had never had to shower before entering the pool.
Perhaps in Oz the chlorine mix is higher?
I remember it made the news one year at the Australian Institute of Sport as the mix was too strong and the swimmers were complaining about hair loss :eek:
A former girlfriend of mine was a swimmer, lovely long blonde hair all down her back, none on her head, now I know why...

A former girlfriend of mine was a swimmer, lovely long blonde hair all down her back, none on her head, now I know why...
Reminds me of a campsite we stayed on last year in Italy when we visited the Cinque Terra. You had to wear a bathing cap in the pool, when I enquired why, it was for hygiene purposes to stop hair gathering in the pool & strainers. I’m 60, receding hairline & what hair I do have is kept under control with a regular #2 cut. I have more hair on my back & chest than my head, but I still had to wear a swimming cap. Go figure :unsure:

Stayed here on the bank holiday weekend.
£25/night per pitch. Not exactly cheap considering the “back to basics” style; portaloos, cold water only for showers & washing up.

But for us it was perfect as it is a stones throw from the Ridgeway trail - which we are trying to walk the length of (over several walks!).

The site is nice and flat, great sunsets and star gazing on clear night.

IMG_7044.jpeg
IMG_6906.jpeg
IMG_7049.jpeg
IMG_7045.jpeg
IMG_6923.jpeg
IMG_6925.jpeg
IMG_6913.jpeg
IMG_7079.jpeg

Stayed here on the bank holiday weekend.
£25/night per pitch. Not exactly cheap considering the “back to basics” style; portaloos, cold water only for showers & washing up.

But for us it was perfect as it is a stones throw from the Ridgeway trail - which we are trying to walk the length of (over several walks!).

The site is nice and flat, great sunsets and star gazing on clear night.

View attachment 240324
View attachment 240323
View attachment 240330
View attachment 240325
View attachment 240326
View attachment 240327
View attachment 240329
View attachment 240328
How far have you got? I've been vaguely looking to see if this is possible from a van.

How far have you got? I've been vaguely looking to see if this is possible from a van.
We’ve done about half so far (44ish miles out of 87)
We started at Ivinghoe beacon, so technically walking it backwards.
My limit on daily walking mileage is 10. If you’re comfortable to walk 15 miles + per day, people can do it in a week. But we’re taking our time!
The hardest part for us is to trying to avoid circular walks (or out and back walks). So we take 2 cars and leave 1 at each end we plan to walk. And there’s not always parking nearby the trail so that adds on to the walking as well.

IMG_5927.jpeg

We’ve done about half so far (44ish miles out of 87)
We started at Ivinghoe beacon, so technically walking it backwards.
My limit on daily walking mileage is 10. If you’re comfortable to walk 15 miles + per day, people can do it in a week. But we’re taking our time!
The hardest part for us is to trying to avoid circular walks (or out and back walks). So we take 2 cars and leave 1 at each end we plan to walk. And there’s not always parking nearby the trail so that adds on to the walking as well.

View attachment 240469
We did 26 miles of it to ivinghoe in a day last year. Or rather I did 20 and the wife did 26. After 20 miles I couldn’t walk on any part of my feet anymore as both feet were covered in massive blisters (don’t wear new socks on a long walk is the moral there), I was going to add a picture but no one wants to see that:sick:

I was going to recommend town farm camping in ivinghoe but I guess it’s a bit late for that

We did 26 miles of it to ivinghoe in a day last year. Or rather I did 20 and the wife did 26. After 20 miles I couldn’t walk on any part of my feet anymore as both feet were covered in massive blisters (don’t wear new socks on a long walk is the moral there), I was going to add a picture but no one wants to see that:sick:

I was going to recommend town farm camping in ivinghoe but I guess it’s a bit late for that
I can think of an alternative moral - like not walking so 'kin far!!!! ;)

I think I would agree with that, if only because there was just 1 pub on route!!! Funnily enough it was after the pub stop that it started going wrong for me (not for the first time)
Respect to your wife though - not only the 26ml, but also that she buggered-off and left you behind. :rofl:

Re. the perceived extortionate costs of UK camping. Just to add balance. We stayed at a CC&C CL site last Saturday night (on a bank holiday weekend) grass pitch, no EHU, immaculate little site with very clean loo/washroom/shower (50p honesty box for shower), fresh duck & hens eggs for £1.30/half doz. Idyllic setting in the Leicestershire countryside. All for the princely sum of £10.
Seek & Ye shall find.

Respect to your wife though - not only the 26ml, but also that she buggered-off and left you behind. :rofl:
Technically I was stopped by St John’s ambulance and they wouldn’t let me continue (maybe because they were worried for my health, maybe because they wanted to go home at some point) and so I got a lift to ivinghoe beacon but the wife battled on so maybe it was me that left her! she really struggled on the last stretch so fair play to her for getting it done!

Re. the perceived extortionate costs of UK camping. Just to add balance. We stayed at a CC&C CL site last Saturday night (on a bank holiday weekend) grass pitch, no EHU, immaculate little site with very clean loo/washroom/shower (50p honesty box for shower), fresh duck & hens eggs for £1.30/half doz. Idyllic setting in the Leicestershire countryside. All for the princely sum of £10.
Seek & Ye shall find.
Is the camping & caravanning club and/or caravan & motorhome club membership worth it for the CL sites? They sound exactly like the sort of sites I'd look to stay at.

Ivinghoe is pretty local for me, so we didn’t need camping.
But I do want to try out Town farm. £40/night I think though :oops:

Is the camping & caravanning club and/or caravan & motorhome club membership worth it for the CL sites? They sound exactly like the sort of sites I'd look to stay at.
For C&CC certified sites, I find it very find to search them out. Also often they don’t have facilities so the best places and cheapest ones are not available to us

Ivinghoe is pretty local for me, so we didn’t need camping.
But I do want to try out Town farm. £40/night I think though :oops:
I think they have some rule that campervans are only allowed in the hardstandings and not in the field which doesn’t help with price. We haven’t managed to stay there yet but the is a path from the back which runs down to a pub

Back