Hillside Birchover

And what you have posted above. Just to be clear, one (red) will go from solar controller to spade connector and one will go from a ring earth point on chassis to solar controller?

Depending upon how you run either will work. You can split the Siamese cable into individual black and red as required, or run separate individual black and red cables.

Best drill bit for going into pop top?

Anyone have any experience. I am not worried about voiding any warranty, just making an absolute mess

Folks in the know!

Spent the morning fitting panel, sca rails etc. got wire to this point….. (wardrobe unit).

Plan to spade piggy back into cbe.

Is this going to work? Looks like already a fair bit going on there…

Also found the grounding point. Anyone know how I can best get in there to unscrew and add ground?172C6D4C-A271-4406-BCA8-DC273303115D.jpeg

67A326FA-8E9E-4623-AD2E-515A6306903A.jpeg

@Chris1983 Looks like you’ve got a couple of piggy backs on the CBE already. I only have one wire.
The bottom wire looks like it’s almost falling off too.
If it was me I’d completely rewire them to a new distribution block, but I know electrical isn’t your thing.
This isn’t how I’d do it but should work, if you aren’t confident enough to rewire:
Do you know where your main leisure 40A fuse is located that feeds the CBE block?
Remove the fuse, measure the voltage at the CBE lower terminal to ensure it isn’t powered then pull the 3 wires off the bottom CBE terminal, keeping the group of three connected together.
Crimp your new Solar controller output wire onto your new piggy back spade terminal and connect it to the now empty CBE lower terminal. Now crimp a small length of the same 4mm2 red cable with a single spade terminal on one end and a piggyback spade on the other. Connect the single spade onto the spare of the piggy back that you’ve just connected up the solar wire to and connected to the CBE terminal and then connect the other end with the piggyback onto the group of three that you’ve recently disconnected. All your wires should now be connected together again. Run some cloth insulating tape around the bunch of crimps to keep them together and then support the wiring mechanically with a cable tie and cable tie base so as not to put a mechanical load on the CBE bottom spade from the mass of loose wiring.

For accessing the ground wire I found the best way was to fold the bed down and work facing the rear. You can then kneel and get both hands in and down and should be able to see what you are doing. Socket on a socket drive to remove and reattach the ground stud nut which from memory is right near the back to the side of the tailgate lights. It will have numerous other black wires (or brown) going to it.

Once you’re done you can reinsert the 40A fuse.

I’m reading and re reading. Option two I think.

The front of the cbe has a fuse, is that what you mean?

I’m reading and re reading. Option two I think.

The front of the cbe has a fuse, is that what you mean?
No, the front of the CBE are the output fuses.
There’s a main fuse (40A) from the leisure battery that feeds the CBE. It will be under the seat near the leisure battery.
You want to isolate this before you mess about with the wiring in case you short something.

I’ve got the wire and piggy back spade things and can do that. I don’t think I’ve grasped now to a) remove the fuse to the cbe unit, I don’t know where that is. And I don’t really know how to use the multimeter I have to check this isn’t powered.

I’ve got the wire and piggy back spade things and can do that. I don’t think I’ve grasped now to a) remove the fuse to the cbe unit, I don’t know where that is. And I don’t really know how to use the multimeter I have to check this isn’t powered.
ok, without a multimeter. Leaving the connections as they are.
When you turn on your main lights or water pump they will work.
When you remove the main 40A fuse they won’t work.
Look at your leisure battery. There will be a wire going from it to a 40A fuse. Try and trace it by following the wire.

I will try,

Will I fry things or RIP if I don’t find fuse?

Can I disconnect battery as an option?

Many thanks

I will try,

Will I fry things or RIP if I don’t find fuse?

Can I disconnect battery as an option?

Many thanks
Disconnecting the leisure battery is an option yes.
Can’t remember whether yours is the battery under the drivers seat or the later battery under the passenger seat?
I only know the location for the passenger side battery.

Disconnecting the leisure battery is an option yes.
Can’t remember whether yours is the battery under the drivers seat or the later battery under the passenger seat?
I only know the location for the passenger side battery.
Leisure under driver seat

Another Q.

The supplier of panel has included a in line fuse wire. Presume from controller to battery.

This has a 5amp fuse I think.

Do I need a fuse here? Victron controller seems to have a replaceable fuse at bottom of decide also?

Many thanks,
Chris

I expect it’s to go between the solar panel wiring and the input to the solar controller to protect the wire between the controller and the solar panel in the event of a fault where current could flow from the battery through the controller and out to the panel wiring and exceed its rated current capacity.
Ask the panel supplier to confirm.

Back