OEM Webasto Auxiliary Heater To Parking Heater Upgrade

So, finally I installed the T91 and it works perfect.

Now I also wanted to install the Overhead Display (7E5919037J). MY T6 has a mirror with rain sensor and light assist camera in the roof.
Today I disassembled everything nearby the mirror and saw that there are already CAN wires (or/br + or/gr) running to the light assist camera. So I could get CAN quite easily from there. Now the question. Does anybody know if I could also get +12V from some of those components, which are already installed in the roof? Do I need permanent 12V?

Last edited:
T6?

Rain/light sensor has permanent +12V on red/white wire via fuse SC53. In OEM setup the overhead panel connects into permanent +12V via fuse SC54.

However, I'm afraid the CANbus - obviously for main beam assist (connects into dash panel insert CANbus) - isn't the right one for Webasto overhead panel (which connects into convenience bus). More details here:

Hi mmi,

thanks for your help! Yes, it's a 09.2016 T6.

Ok, so maybe it's the other way round and the problem is the correct CAN-Bus not the 12V? Unfortunately I'm not VIP, so I will try to get the circuit diagrams somewhere tomorrow.

Otherwise I don't come round to get all the connection from T17p under drivers seat as avckon.

Hi @mmi so, I checked the circuit diagrams today and you are completely right. The CAN-Bus at the Camera is the wrong one. What I figured out so far is, that I could either go to the T17p connector under the drivers seat or to the T10af at the A-Pillar.

I think I will go to the T17p connector an connect the Overheads panel +12V directly to the second battery. Or would be the T10af the easier solution? Any suggestions?

Reactions: mmi
I think I will go to the T17p connector an connect the Overheads panel +12V directly to the second battery. Or would be the T10af the easier solution? Any suggestions?
Well, if left seat seat and bulkhead are removed T17p would be the easy way. I have installed a few wires wires through B-pillar up and then behind roof lining to overhead console.

So, in the end I connected everything under the drivers seat on the T17p plug. Coding set to 5101 and everything works perfect
Is it the normal behavior, that the lights of the buttons of the overhead Panel are always on, when the ignotion is on?

You run the Webasto from starter battery?

No, I connected almost everything that’s needed for the parking heater to the second battery. => Thermo Top, T91, overhead panel and the air blower. Only the Climatronic is running from the starter battery. Is the coding wrong?

Would be great, of you could give me feedback about the lights.

Reactions: mmi
No, I connected almost everything that’s needed for the parking heater to the second battery. => Thermo Top, T91, overhead panel and the air blower. Only the Climatronic is running from the starter battery. Is the coding wrong?
Well, not exactly wrong. However, now Webasto's operation is controlled by van's energy management (based on starter battery's state of charge) although the Webasto is energized from the second battery. Thus having low starter battery would inhibit Webasto starting. On the other hand low second battery wouldn't prevent Webasto to start thus flattening the battery.

My proposal is to change coding from 5101 to 5001 - then Webasto would use it's internal limits based on the state of the second battery.

Similar case - but other way round here (+coding explained):

My proposal is to change coding from 5101 to 5001 - then Webasto would use it's internal lmits based on the state of the second battery.

Thanks for the explanation! You are right the coding is wrong in my case. Have changed it to 5001 - draining the second battery is not good for the battery either.

Is it the normal behavior, that the lights of the buttons of the overhead Panel are always on, when the ignotion is on?
Yes, always on with ignition on (OEM install). Besides that the lights stay on for a while after turning ignition off, etc.

Not having a T6 anymore I have a T91 parking heater kit for sale £150 posted. Not able to post as membership has run out, bit too much just to list it.

Hi guys,

Perhaps, As you have seen, i have been participating in other threads and contacting privately to some of you (thank you for taking the time asnwering me) borrowing some of your expertise

Well i have given up in flashing the webasto with the webasto digasnostic interface as, for the moment, i havent been able to find the software to flash the heater so... now i am going to try with the the approach most of you have followed.

i will flash the heater as @Robert did with VPC using the firmware metioned.

I have a T6 2016 multivan DSG 150 PS.

I plan to buy this kit
do you guys think will it fit? any other else is appreciated.

Besides, i have a couple of doubts

I want to use the kit just to switch on the webasto thermo top and use to heat heater (not sure how to, heater exchanger or water directly through the heater)

As seen in Rober`s video (thanks) blower starts when the webasto is ready to work, Can you switch off the cabin blower with the A/C climatronic controls? in that case, will it turn off the webasto as well or it will still heating the coolant? have anybody tried this?

do you know, more or less, what is the temp of the coolant after 30 mins running?

thank you
Cheers
Miguel

Hi Miguel,
I plan to buy this kit
As you may read here, there are two types of Telestart. The one you quoted looks to me the older version and more likely earlier T5 versions.
Please, check the full check list of telestart upgrade earlier in this tread in order to identify your Webasto version.

I want to use the kit just to switch on the webasto thermo top and use to heat heater (not sure how to, heater exchanger or water directly through the heater)
Few adaptations needs to be done if you want to use parking heater to warm up your engine coolant circuit. It is configurable via Parking heater module in VCDS.

As seen in Rober`s video (thanks) blower starts when the webasto is ready to work, Can you switch off the cabin blower with the A/C climatronic controls? in that case, will it turn off the webasto as well or it will still heating the coolant? have anybody tried this?
In case the blower turned on by the heater (by overhead panel in my case, the Climatronic controls are INOP. You can't do anything there, including changing the blower speed. Webasto controlled by telestart module and turn on the blower once it reaches the operational state and turn it off once it is remotely turned off.

do you know, more or less, what is the temp of the coolant after 30 mins running?
If outside temp is -2C - +3C within 30min I have engine Coolant temperature hand just above 60C and interior temperature comfortable enough to get thin ice melted from all windows and seats and all plastic warmed u a little bit.
Cheers
Miguel
I'm far away from my T6 2019 now, I can check at the end of the week more precisely if you have additional questions.

Cheers!

I plan to buy this kit
Yes, it works. However, the newer one is 3Q0963513 (usually also less expensive, especially additional remotes).
Check these:

Hello Avkcom,

Thank you for you answer, much appreciated.

As you may read here, there are two types of Telestart. The one you quoted looks to me the older version and more likely earlier T5 versions.
Please, check the full check list of telestart upgrade earlier in this tread in order to identify your Webasto version.
I will take a look at the newer ones stated by @mmi too. (Thanks )

Few adaptations needs to be done if you want to use parking heater to warm up your engine coolant circuit. It is configurable via Parking heater module in VCDS.
I guess you are talking about coding the 5001, arent you?

n case the blower turned on by the heater (by overhead panel in my case, the Climatronic controls are INOP. You can't do anything there, including changing the blower speed. Webasto controlled by telestart module and turn on the blower once it reaches the operational state and turn it off once it is remotely turned off.

Wow... this really make things a little complicated... as i want to use the engine heater to heat the water of my underslank water tank... so.. i wouldnt like to have the blower in the cabin on while heating the water.. wasting energy from the main battery and even more if it is summer...cabin will be hotter
If outside temp is -2C - +3C within 30min I have engine Coolant temperature hand just above 60C and interior temperature comfortable enough to get thin ice melted from all windows and seats and all plastic warmed u a little bit.
Well.. that would be more than enough

another questions guys.. does the van need to be locked up as in Robert's video?

Like i said, ideally, in my case i want the heater to turn on( in this case with the T91R) but not the air in the cabin..

Maybe unticking the bit 3 in the adaptation in parking heater module? Just thinking outloud

Thank you for the answer @mmi, i have gone through carefully all these posts trying to extract all the info i need to recap for my case

Cheers
Miguel

Back