Steering Wheel Play.

What did your garage say today?
They couldn't find any play anywhere..
Seems the 10-15mm play is there on every van they have, but its the loose feel on mine that is the issue, felt the steering on a t5 today, the play was there but not the loose feel....

They couldn't find any play anywhere..
Seems the 10-15mm play is there on every van they have, but its the loose feel on mine that is the issue, felt the steering on a t5 today, the play was there but not the loose feel....
Hmm, there has to be play. Before you had the rack replaced, did they physically see play in the rack?

My money is still on the rack having the play.

The two main things that cause play in the steering like you have is the rack or the universal joints on the column. Either the joints wear, or the pinch bolts settle in and need nipped up

My money is still on the rack having the play.

The two main things that cause play in the steering like you have is the rack or the universal joints on the column. Either the joints wear, or the pinch bolts settle in and need nipped up
Both old and new rack have exactly the same feel....its very odd..

Both old and new rack have exactly the same feel....its very odd..
Well if there is no change, then either the new rack is faulty or you have play elsewhere. Might be better getting a second opinion from another garage

If the play is excessive it will fail a UK MOT. If it has passed an MOT it’s not excessive.

2.3. Steering play​

To check steering play:
  1. Make sure the road wheels are on the ground and pointing straight ahead.
  2. Lightly turn the steering wheel left and right as far as possible without moving the road wheels.
  3. Check the amount of free play at the rim of the steering wheel.
If power steering is fitted, the engine must be running.
Steering wheel free play should not be more than:
  • 13mm for rack and pinion steering, or 48mm if there are several joints between the steering wheel and the rack
  • 75mm for non-rack and pinion
These limits are for a standard 380mm diameter steering wheel. The limits should be adjusted up or down accordingly with larger or smaller diameter steering wheels.
Play due to wear or maladjustment must not be confused with apparent play due to the construction of the mechanism, such as caused by the deflection of flexible joints or spring compression in external power steering systems.
DefectCategory
(a) Free play in the steering, measured at the rim of the steering wheel is:

(i) excessive
(ii) excessive to the extent that safe steering is affected

Major
Dangerous

If the play is excessive it will fail a UK MOT. If it has passed an MOT it’s not excessive.

2.3. Steering play​

To check steering play:
  1. Make sure the road wheels are on the ground and pointing straight ahead.
  2. Lightly turn the steering wheel left and right as far as possible without moving the road wheels.
  3. Check the amount of free play at the rim of the steering wheel.
If power steering is fitted, the engine must be running.
Steering wheel free play should not be more than:
  • 13mm for rack and pinion steering, or 48mm if there are several joints between the steering wheel and the rack
  • 75mm for non-rack and pinion
These limits are for a standard 380mm diameter steering wheel. The limits should be adjusted up or down accordingly with larger or smaller diameter steering wheels.
Play due to wear or maladjustment must not be confused with apparent play due to the construction of the mechanism, such as caused by the deflection of flexible joints or spring compression in external power steering systems.
DefectCategory
(a) Free play in the steering, measured at the rim of the steering wheel is:

(i) excessive
(ii) excessive to the extent that safe steering is affected

Major
Dangerous

I'd say the play is 10-15mm, but as there are several joints between the steering wheel and rack, this falls within the limits. The play for me isn't the problem, it's the loose feel of the play. I've felt other vans and the loose feeling isn't there (on others it is though).

Last edited:
Surely if the play is within the same tolerances as everyone else's van then the vagueness you experience must be down to the amount of weight (or lack of) on the front axle, poor geometry or the tyres themselves. or a combination of all three.
If the wheel centre to arch measurements are correct front to rear then could it be front wheel geometry/alignment?

Edit: theres seems to be a fair bit on google about this happening to people after a wheel alignment and many comments saying that there should be 'toe-in' set to within the parameters rather than trying to achieve the exact straight wheel situation.
After everything else youve spent and changed it might be worth a try just getting a hunter place to adjust it. They can always adjust it back.

Last edited:
Surely if the play is within the same tolerances as everyone else's van then the vagueness you experience must be down to the amount of weight (or lack of) on the front axle, poor geometry or the tyres themselves. or a combination of all three.
If the wheel centre to arch measurements are correct front to rear then could it be front wheel geometry/alignment?
Thank you for the reply.
The back of the van only has seats, no conversion, so I imagine the front of the van is heavy.
The Geometry has just all been checked.

Thank you for the reply.
The back of the van only has seats, no conversion, so I imagine the front of the van is heavy.
The Geometry has just all been checked.
I've just stuck an edit on my post after a bit of searching on google.

Edit: theres seems to be a fair bit on google about this happening to people after a wheel alignment and many comments saying that there should be 'toe-in' set to within the parameters rather than trying to achieve the exact straight wheel situation.
After everything else youve spent and changed it might be worth a try just getting a hunter place to adjust it. They can always adjust it back.
The loose feel is there when the van is stationary also, but anything is worth a try. Thank you.

Could the loose feel be taken out with adding a small amount of preload to the rack?
Quite possibly. But haven't you had a new rack fitted? Then it's upto the warranty to sort it out for you. Is the play in the rack though?

You need it checked to find out. If it is the rack. Then get it replaced under warranty

Back