Hi everyone.
I’m trying to install wiring kit on T6 shuttle. All instructions suggest connecting to light blue connector under passenger seat. Problem is I don’t have this connector, photos below of connectors.
1st photo passenger seat
2nd fuse box
3rd driver seat

Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Ian,

I didn't fit my own Westfalia, but (and it may be a coincidence) but since fitting the towbar, I've been plagued with a flat battery, and when everything is switched off, im still srawing 2 amps from the battery. Its not the MOl battery etc and no fault codes but I cant figure it out. Is there a relay or fuse I can pull that is for this circuit to see if that's the issue? Its a T28 camper conversion with split charging etc
Apologies for being a little late to the party on this one, but I had the same problem with my Westfalia towbar setup draining my starter battery. I did a lot of testing myself in discussion with my conversion company and ultimately it was resolved by fitting a replacement Westfalia control unit as the first one was showing faults on VCDS. I disconnected the leisure side (charging twin 100Ah lithiums) from the main battery to make sure that nothing else that the converters had installed was causing the problem, and still had 0.7A draw when everything was turned off/locked, including having pushed the bonnet catch back down (with bonnet still open). If you don't do this then the system doesn't shut don completely and you'll get a false reading. I also pulled numerous fuses, one at a time, to try to pinpoint the problem, and it eventually brought us to the towbar setup. Since the control unit was swapped out, I haven't had a problem with battery drain, although I've still got a dash warning when the trailer/bike rack is on saying I've a bulb out. Still working on that one!

For anyone unsure, managed to locate the correct wire in the green block on my 1st photo (passenger seat nearest my thumb). The instructions are misleading, but by checking multiple installation guides I found one that related to my vehicle.

I already have a fixed swan neck tow bar and electrics fitted to my t6.
Do all tow bars use the same mounting points.
I would like to remove my tow bar ( not sure what make) and fit the westfalia with removable ball hitch.
Is this a easy thing to do? Plan on use the existing electrics so hopefully no coding to worry about.

If you post some photos, someone may be able to identify what you currently have ?

Ultimately, their towbar brackets all mount to the same points on the van, but I doubt they are common between the actual towbar and the bracket.

Pete

Thanks Pete
All I am really asking is could I unbolt mine and bolt the westfalia in the same place as a direct swop.
I figured they would all use the same mounting points but wanted to know if anybody could confirm.

Ok, basically the towbar mounts to a manufacturers bracket (big metal bar), which itself bolts to the van through a common set of bolt holes.

Clearly you could buy a Westfalia bracket and towbar, and bolt those to the van in place of what you have. But in a perfect world, you might be able to buy just the towbar, and mount it to the existing manufacturers bracket. If your existing towbar is a Westfalia, then it might just bolt onto the existing bracket, and you save yourself some money.

Pete

I won't pretend to know anything about fitting towbars but I can tell you that when I had a Westfalia Detachable fitted to my 18 plate T6 Highline, the fitter did NOT have to drill any extra holes. Somebody else might chip in later but you might need a couple of other things such as the bumper filler pieces. When mine was done, the fitter also had to replace what I would describe as a large black plastic beam which went across the width of the van under the bumper - sorry, I've no idea what it's called or even what it does (other than fill a space!) but, again, somebody else might advise.

This thread is useful. As Ayjay points out, there are other parts to consider.

Pete

Ok, basically the towbar mounts to a manufacturers bracket (big metal bar), which itself bolts to the van through a common set of bolt holes.

Clearly you could buy a Westfalia bracket and towbar, and bolt those to the van in place of what you have. But in a perfect world, you might be able to buy just the towbar, and mount it to the existing manufacturers bracket. If your existing towbar is a Westfalia, then it might just bolt onto the existing bracket, and you save yourself some money.

Pete
Thanks all, time to purchase a westfalia removable and get stuck in then.

I would like to remove my tow bar ( not sure what make) and fit the westfalia with removable ball hitch.
Is this a easy thing to do? Plan on use the existing electrics so hopefully no coding to worry about.
A very easy job to do...dont forget to order the two pieces of overpriced foam packing (about £20each) that stick to the top of the tow bar either side of the welded section to fill the void between underside of bumper and tow bar...just where you might rest something heavy or kneel...without them you might crack/damage the bumper! Spare keys are available online at a fraction of the Westfalia price.

As has already been said it’s a very straightforward process, remove the rear bumper, drop the electrics off the old towbar, remove the 6 mounting bolts and pull the towbar away from the van.

I fitted a towbar from scratch and guess it took me a couple of hours plus the electrics.

I did mine on my back on a hard standing, if I was doing it again I would drive the rear wheels up on some pieces of wood to give a bit more room as the bolts are tight. 75mm would make all the difference.

Fitted a Westfalia Detachable Tow Bar earlier in the week. Just picked up the 13pin wiring kit from VW to fit over weekend.

Kit supplied has the code 7F0 055 204 B.

Just looking through instructions and it only seems to show a flat bed and mentions single or double cab. It's also shows connecting some of the wiring to an earth point on the underside of the vehicle (bit marked 3 on image). The wire for this is only 40cm long from the socket at the tow bar.

I may be wrong but when I was under the van fitting the tow bar I don't remember seeing an earth point underneath and wires not long enough to bring into van to connect to earth point in back.

Worried I might have been supplied wrong kit but thought I would double check here before so I don't make a fool of myself going back to VW.

20210129_144006.jpg

There is an earth point behind the rear lights and left rear cross member.
See attached.

Attachments

• earthpoints.pdf
    765.8 KB · Views: 31
That's reassuring. Not convinced the wires long enough to be routed to the rear lights but 68 Earth point, on left of rear cross member looks good. Don't remember seeing it but with the miserable weather lately it was quite dark under there.

Thanks.

Well I'm under van with spare wheel tray removed and I am struggling to see earth point 68 on the rear cross member.

I already fitted rear tow bar a few days ago and have refitted bumper which was a right pig to get off. Now worried it must be on the cross member facing out where bumper refitted has covered. However, I don't want to take the bumper off only to find it's not there.

Has anyone actually used it and can direct me to it? I can't see anything on the side facing under van.

Back