What Have You Bought Today?

What started off as what I thought would be an easy job, turned into a very long and expensive job. Went to change over my rear threshold but then discovered all underneath the rear was caked in mud and soaking wet. The van was a national trust van before I bought it a couple of weeks ago.
So ended up having to lift all the rear floor up, although I can't get to one bolt and gave it a good clean out. Only problem is that the original rubber flooring is soaking wet, I don't think there's water getting in, it's just purely how it's been used in the past. Has anyone had the same issue with wet floor? And how did you dry it? I have a dehumidifier in the van at the min hoping that will sort it.
So basically on the back of this I ended up buying new cab steps, sliding door step, 5 new tie down inserts (circle plastic part? and one floor mount surround trim and was missing.... why not!
I'm actually glad I found the issue before I get it carpeted etc, but is anything ever straight forward

You've probably figured this out by now? If not, it'll be your factory fit sliding windows leaking. Same thing happened to mine, and many many other peoples.

I ended up with the sodding floor dragged into my living room sat on a load of chairs for the best part of a week, drying out. I cleaned the van floor up nicely and got it all back in, but not before I'd replaced the rubbish VW windows with Campervanglass replacements.

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
You've probably figured this out by now? If not, it'll be your factory fit sliding windows leaking. Same thing happened to mine, and many many other peoples.

I ended up with the sodding floor dragged into my living room sat on a load of chairs for the best part of a week, drying out. I cleaned the van floor up nicely and got it all back in, but not before I'd replaced the rubbish VW windows with Campervanglass replacements.
Thanks for the reply. Floor is dried out and everything is back in place.
I haven't checked the window, but is there something I should be looking at to prevent it? I'm sure I read something about a drain hole?

Thanks for the reply. Floor is dried out and everything is back in place.
I haven't checked the window, but is there something I should be looking at to prevent it? I'm sure I read something about a drain hole?
Get a pressure washer or hose on the edges of the sliding windows from the outside and you will see where it is coming in.

Fiddling around with the drain hole is hopeless, these factory windows are cursed. I’ve recently been lucky enough to be able to replace my van with a newer model, and I specifically avoided buying a factory kombi.

I already had a spare rear kombi seat kicking around, and it was pretty easy to buy the brackets from TPS, find a cheap second hand OEM rubber floor, cut the bulkhead out and fit some proper aftermarket, non leaking, flush fitting sliding windows. I’ve saved about £4k and a load of leaky sliding windows misery.

Good luck with yours, but budget £400 to £600 to get them removed and replaced. The best place for them is in a skip.

Back