What Have You Bought Today?

I have done exactly that. A few coats of smooth Hammerite. Would be a lie to say that both caps look as good as new, but certainly looking much better than they were. Modern Hammerite does seem to retain brush marks much more than it used to. Might go over it with some very fine wet and dry. Considerably less pricy than 2x new caps. Also less risk of breaking screws and then not being able to fit replacement caps.
Be aware hammerite doesn’t fully cure by its nature so you might ‘smear’ the hammerite. Someone I used to know decided to paint a Fiat X1/9 with hammerite and thought the finish was a bit dull so was going to lightly rub it down and then polish. Didn’t get to the polishing as the hammerite smeared everywhere

Be aware hammerite doesn’t fully cure by its nature so you might ‘smear’ the hammerite. Someone I used to know decided to paint a Fiat X1/9 with hammerite and thought the finish was a bit dull so was going to lightly rub it down and then polish. Didn’t get to the polishing as the hammerite smeared everywhere
Thanks for the tip. Might just leave it looking a little rustic then. Looks better than it did and metal protected.
Painting an X1/9 with Hammerite is a bit of a travesty though. My dad had a lovely kermit green metallic one. I am sure the colour had a wonderful italian name. One of the very early ones. It was fab, if not rather impractical as a car for a married father of 2 !!. Now presumably rusted away...

Original Hammerite was lovely but did indeed never really dry.

Then the recipe changed and it did properly dry but was otherwise woeful.

It's now changed yet again and does seem to have recovered many of its original toughness and durability properties and does, eventually, dry sufficiently to allow it to be sanded and even polished. It's getting expensive though. Mind you, what isn't these days?

Back