Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

I was there 2 weeks ago and the the little devils came out in force heading towards dusk, I was by Dunvegan campsite in a holiday cottage. I'm told it's only the female ones that bite :oops:
Never seen so many T6's in a week although the Vito's gave them a run for their money

We're now 1600 miles into the trip having left Split for a slow drive back to UK We're now camped near the beach at Camping Selce - Elements Camping Selce, Croatia - Official Website - Jadran until Monday. It's another great Croatian campsite that's not too packed and has decent size pitches but they do vary. As we're only here for the weekend, the awning is not coming out but the ground is so rocky that I'm not sure that it would be a good idea anyway (the only minus point thus far). As we drove in, I realised that I had actually stayed her for a night about 12 years ago when I was on a road trip from home to Dubai (I checked my pictures from the time on the laptop and it was 26/9/10). I thought it was OK then but it has changed dramatically since in terms of facilities - the shower / toilet blocks all seem to be very recent and they've also added a spectacular split level infinity pool (TBH, I'm not a great lover of swimming pools in general but this is deffo the best that I have ever seen on a campsite - light was fading for the pictures but I'll post a better one of the pool tomorrow). Another plus point is that we're only a stroll along the sea front from a very nice town with loads of eating options. I can feel a beer and an excellent croatian red coming on.
Selce Pitch 002.jpg
Pool001.jpg

@Ali-G whats the midge situation at this time of year when its not raining thanks

I must've been lucky because I've not experienced any really, seen the odd few around but not the normal plague like proportions, I've not been bitten yet anyway.
I was chatting to a guy that lives on Skye today and he told me that there haven't been many around this year because they've had a poor summer up here.

I must've been lucky because I've not experienced any really, seen the odd few around but not the normal plague like proportions, I've not been bitten yet anyway.
I was chatting to a guy that lives on Skye today and he told me that there haven't been many around this year because they've had a poor summer up here.
I was up there in May pretty much Midge free

After leaving Skye this morning tonight’s stopover is at Firemore Beach.
It’s so nice here that I might stop here all day tomorrow, let’s see what the weather does.
I’m currently in a little lay-by set back slightly from the road with a sort of built up banking round 3 sides giving some shelter from the breeze. Just down the road there is a campsite that is run by the local community, don’t think there are any facilities but you can park right next to the beach. T’internet says that it’s £10 per night paid into an honesty box, may give that a go tomorrow if the weather holds up.

2CEC60BD-54DE-4D65-BF06-0381248C7F28.jpeg
64B50EB0-E198-4F9D-B5B8-99B4930D25A2.jpeg
99F5509F-8F7D-4753-886F-4DE3847E1A8F.jpeg
CD3AF925-EC6F-4444-934C-6EFE64D23072.jpeg

Our stop overnight in Wales got incredibly windy, the van with its pop top up was getting battered. Got up in the middle of the night to take down the awning. Good job I did as one of the pegs had been pulled out of the ground. Wales did what Wales does, and rained. Wet day on Thursday but a good start with bacon butties. Then went off to Zipwire World at Bethesda for Velocity 2. Really enjoyed that but whizzing down over the quarry was quite windy and the rain was painful on the face.

52377074947_b7da4f9e93_c.jpgUntitled by Nigel G, on Flickr

52377074937_43a39f9cee_c.jpgUntitled by Nigel G, on Flickr

The little taster ride

52378333574_90e53f3851_c.jpgUntitled by Nigel G, on Flickr

Then the main one where you can go up to 119 mph.

52378439345_60736a57aa_c.jpgUntitled by Nigel G, on Flickr

52378020721_c5888ba19d_c.jpgUntitled by Nigel G, on Flickr

Then the main one where you can go up to 119 mph.

52378439345_60736a57aa_c.jpg
:eek: This does nothing [good] for my vertigo.

:eek: This does nothing [good] for my vertigo.
I don’t like heights at all, I got none of the usual feelings with this. No sweaty palms or butterflies and my balls stayed where they should be (I’m sure you know the feeling when they retreat when near the edge of something high!). It was actually a good experience.

Last edited:
Well I’ve moved just down the road to the community site, which is basically a field with a couple of industrial wheelie bins at the gate.
Beautiful spot though, parked right at the edge of the beach. Had to spend a while driving around looking for somewhere reasonably level as I left my levelling ramps at home thinking I wouldn’t need them.

2C45AEB6-671D-431B-A433-A40962C3C83F.jpeg

View from the side door.

F926E922-DC74-4CDA-AEBD-347C701AD6B5.jpeg

Well I’ve moved just down the road to the community site, which is basically a field with a couple of industrial wheelie bins at the gate.
Beautiful spot though, parked right at the edge of the beach. Had to spend a while driving around looking for somewhere reasonably level as I left my levelling ramps at home thinking I wouldn’t need them.

View attachment 173476

View from the side door.

View attachment 173477
"View from the side door" sounds like the name of a thread you should start. :thumbsup:

Back