AdBlue Discussion and Issues

It would be useful to try and establish some sort of trend analysis here I.e. why do some people have loads of problems and others have none ?
2016 102bhp with 24k miles - no issues whatsoever, which is probably because most of the use is longer trips.

Pete

Weirdly I’ve got a 2017 102PS and have had a number of EMLs due to the EGR. Started about May (just after the warranty expired!) and only do long journeys! Did 500 miles on Saturday and it came on 4 times. Did another 500 miles yesterday and it came on twice. Going to put a new EGR on it as it’s getting on my nerves!

It would be useful to try and establish some sort of trend analysis here I.e. why do some people have loads of problems and others have none ?
2016 102bhp with 24k miles - no issues whatsoever, which is probably because most of the use is longer trips.

Only really use premium fuel too, which may make a difference.

Pete

Only really use premium fuel too, which may make a difference.

Pete

ditto, only ever use branded premium fuel. I try and keep the revs down too to avoid production of too much black smoke, but I wonder whether it’s better to give it an ‘Italian Tune Up’ every now and again.

I only use BP fuel. However quite a lot of short journeys. My Velle had 2 new egr valves. Would of thought VW would have sorted this issue by now, that said they still need to sort the windows.

Surprised watchdog haven't picked this issue up yet, the love to the on the car companies

Quick update - after a near three-week wait van dropped off at dealers on Monday this week, they confirmed a flush needed again. Here's the rub- there is no flush fluid available and on backorder -due by end of this month! ( up to 10 days time). They suggest not driving the van and leaving with them or it will lose its place in the queue- they have 4 other vans waiting for the same procedure! The dealers are communicative and helpful and have requested a loan car however the process is currently very slow!!!!!!! They claim VW won't replace the valve but will only flush. This palava certainly takes the shine off the T6 as each visit at a dealers 20 miles away can take days.
Van picked up after 9 days- courtesy car provided am wondering about only using branded fuel and also the occasional use of a diesel cleaner/additive- anyone tried any?

ditto, only ever use branded premium fuel. I try and keep the revs down too to avoid production of too much black smoke, but I wonder whether it’s better to give it an ‘Italian Tune Up’ every now and again.
I drive gently and use premium fuel but every week or two, when the engine is properly warmed up, I do thrash it for ten minutes, when I say thrash it, I still don't get to the limit, I take it up to 4,000 revs. I don't know for certain but I think a diesel engine benefits from it every now and again.

I have a Euro 5 and no issues so I doubt it has anything to do with fuel quality, more to do with the EGR system design.

I had a Euro5 A6 and did 85k in that without such as a DPF light, an engine light or anything. Bloody Euro6 and their clean exhausts.

Premium fuel and 5k oil changes, lots of short trips and not a single egr issue in 2 years/20k miles.

Premium fuel and 5k oil changes, lots of short trips and not a single egr issue in 2 years/20k miles.

I got mine with 21k on the clock so I don’t know how it’s been driven before me, but I do oil changes every 8k or so, and still use long life oil and premium fuel.

Euro 5 or 6? What engine is yours?

I’m hoping that a new EGR will last longer under my ownership than the original.

Hi all, close to buying my first van, a T6 Kombi, 150 diesel. I’ve just come across all these issues with Adblue and it’s putting me off making the purchase!
The van I’m planning on buying is a 68 plate 2019 DSG.
Would I be right assuming that this is an ongoing (potential) problem, even to newer/new vehicles?
Thanks for your help

(copied and pasted from another discussion to make sure its hopefully in the right place!)
I've just been away and had an AdBlue issue, turns out it was just the sensor not picking up the adblue in the tank and it cleared itself, not the first time I've had problems with it, seriously thinking about selling it, personally if I was you I would look for an older t 5.1 without AdBlue they seem to be more reliable...

When the T6 was introduced, i seem to think that you could only buy it with the 102ps engine initially, and this was the only one without ad blue ?

When the T6 was introduced, i seem to think that you could only buy it with the 102ps engine initially, and this was the only one without ad blue ?
All I know is that it ows me the best part of 40k, it's supposably from a Premier vehicle maker and they seem to be an absolute nightmare, time to sell get petrol four-wheel drive and a tent...

turns out it was just the sensor not picking up the adblue in the tank
Has the van got ECU software update - it is claimed to cure false alarms?
The update has been gradually available since early 2019, and since March 2020 the update has been available for all T6 EU6 engines.

All the early T6s didn't have AdBlue, that's the Euro5 engines, regardless of power output of 102, 140, 180. Euro6 engines, the later 102, 150 and 200 all have AdBlue.

Has the van got ECU software update - it is claimed to cure false alarms?
The update has been gradually available since early 2019, and since March 2020 the update has been available for all T6 EU6 engines.
Hi mate, apparently it was only a certain few and mine wasn't one of them that needed it...

Hi all, close to buying my first van, a T6 Kombi, 150 diesel. I’ve just come across all these issues with Adblue and it’s putting me off making the purchase!
The van I’m planning on buying is a 68 plate 2019 DSG.
Would I be right assuming that this is an ongoing (potential) problem, even to newer/new vehicles?
Thanks for your help

(copied and pasted from another discussion to make sure its hopefully in the right place!)
I would say buy one. The T6 is a great van and generally reliable, sure, there are reported issues, but when you consider that in 2018 alone VW produced over 200000 transporters across all variants, the reported issues by comparison are a tiny number. I've copied the below quote from another member on another thread on this forum which sums it up pretty well.

Nobody posts, "I need some advice, I've just notched up another week of using my T6 without any issues".
Go on any of the other manufacturers owners forums, people post when they want advice, usually when they have a problem with their vehicle, that's the nature of forums, it doesn't mean their vehicles are inherently unreliable.

Back