Fogstar Drift 12v 230Ah Seatbase battery -- "How I Done It" --

I think that's a carry over from the standard lithium profile,

That I renamed for a Roamer battery swap out from Renogy.

That I swapped out for a Fogstar....

So it's all a bit convoluted.

I'm not sure where the XS is getting any temp data from?

It may have an internal temp sensor like the mppt, that it samples occasionally?

Or it may pick up the temp data over the Ve-direct from the bmv712, which has the temp sensor.?

Or possibly via VRM Cerbo GX that has a Ruvvi Bluetooth sensor.....?

Ah, this may explain it...

Looks like the temp data from the BMV712 is being shared via the VE SMART local BT network I setup.

Screenshot_20240610_114831.jpgScreenshot_20240610_114751.jpgScreenshot_20240610_114735.jpgScreenshot_20240610_114820.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh ok, that makes sense. I think!

Interesting that you can have a VE smart network set up running alongside a Cerbo GX.

Yes, yes we'll cool.

VE Smart share s data between victron kit locally over BT.

At the same time I have the Cerbo GX connected to the same kit via VE Direct.... That gets you the data on the VRM platform.

In an ideal world all the local kit would share data over local BT including the cerbo.... But for some reason it doesn't. So you need the ve direct cable link as well.

Even thought the GX can use the BT Ruvvi temp sensors....

Here's hoping for a future update.

Finally, after being in stock last Monday, and after a useless TNT delivery meaning I was on my way to collect from the depot after a failed delivery when it was delivered (after 6pm) by a different van...

I finally have my battery!

1000008851.jpg
On charge.
1000008859.png
Oh, poor little 5a Victron charger! 24hrs to charge 50% of the capacity :rofl:
1000008861.jpg

Bad news, the MRBF fuse holder doesn't fit, even upside down.

But, the battery comes with screw in post mounts, which are also, handily, threaded - so that allows it to fit. It still protrudes a little above the battery case, and I'll need to find a new terminal cover to fit, but it means I can use that proper fuse and holder and don't need to find room for the Megafuse.
1000008862.jpg

Finally, after being in stock last Monday, and after a useless TNT delivery meaning I was on my way to collect from the depot after a failed delivery when it was delivered (after 6pm) by a different van...

I finally have my battery!

View attachment 246588
On charge.
View attachment 246589
Oh, poor little 5a Victron charger! 24hrs to charge 50% of the capacity :rofl:
View attachment 246607

Bad news, the MRBF fuse holder doesn't fit, even upside down.

But, the battery comes with screw in post mounts, which are also, handily, threaded - so that allows it to fit. It still protrudes a little above the battery case, and I'll need to find a new terminal cover to fit, but it means I can use that proper fuse and holder and don't need to find room for the Megafuse.
View attachment 246606
5A charger . . . LOL.

obviously that will be your starter battery maintainer? and not your main EHU charger.

5A charger . . . LOL.

obviously that will be your starter battery maintainer? and not your main EHU charger.

Yeah, although tbh I doubt I'll need EHU again! I've got a 15a in the van for EHU, this was just for trickle charging the SB via the cigarette lighter socket.

Getting there... Slowly. :rofl:

1000008892.png

I think I'll do the first couple of cycles when it's installed in the van, with the 15a EHU charger and my fridge on and running some stuff off USB.

Unless I purchase the 2000w inverter in the next week or so... :p

The Fogstar app is no longer displaying the correct SOC on our 105ah battery. It reads 100% even though the fridge has been on all day and it hasn’t been charged. Also it’s not showing a discharge. I have deleted the app and the data, and downloaded the current app version. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks. Nick

The Fogstar app is no longer displaying the correct SOC on our 105ah battery. It reads 100% even though the fridge has been on all day and it hasn’t been charged. Also it’s not showing a discharge. I have deleted the app and the data, and downloaded the current app version. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks. Nick
The BMS can't read draws under 1a, do you have a shunt or know what the fridge draws?

Or is the BMS in the app not showing any discharge at all, even over 1a?

The BMS can't read draws under 1a, do you have a shunt or know what the fridge draws?

Or is the BMS in the app not showing any discharge at all, even over 1a?
Thanks for replying. We don’t have a shunt. It has always shown when the battery is discharging before when the fridge and lights are running. It draws more than 1a. The BMS isn’t showing any discharge.

Run the battery dead flat to 0% and it shuts off.

Then fully recharge the battery to 100% to reset the battery BMS.

Post some screenshot of the app page and details page.

Well, received my Renogy 2000w inverter today, this is running my 55" OLED TV off it...

1000009033.jpg
1000009044.png

Might still take a while to do a couple of cycles!

I think I need to run it down to zero to allow the BMS to calibrate, right?

I think I need to run it down to zero to allow the BMS to calibrate, right?
Depends why you are doing it.

If you're aiming to carry on forming the cells then gentle cycles is the aim, so I'd not run them flat.

I'd get a couple of gentle cycles in based on the BMS state now then push it.

Depends why you are doing it.

If you're aiming to carry on forming the cells then gentle cycles is the aim, so I'd not run them flat.

I'd get a couple of gentle cycles in based on the BMS state now then push it.
Tbh there's lots of different advice floating around on the web regarding this, some say to run it down to zero to calibrate the BMS.

I think I'll just run it down to 20% and then charge it back up, I'll do this a couple of times over the next couple of weeks. Then once I get solar installed in a few weeks time I'll keep it topped up with that - I know it's not good to keep them at 100% so I'll turn on the solar every few days if I'm not using the van and the fridge etc isn't plugged in.

That battery BMS top balances to 100%.

That's all you need to do, just fully charge it.

However.....

If you find the BMS drifts out of whack.... Ie the battery is full and won't take anymore charge, but the BMS still shows less than 100% then you need to reset the BMS calibration by draining it down to 0% untill it shuts off..... Then a full charge back up will reset back to 100%.

That battery BMS top balances to 100%.

That's all you need to do, just fully charge it.

However.....

If you find the BMS drifts out of whack.... Ie the battery is full and won't take anymore charge, but the BMS still shows less than 100% then you need to reset the BMS calibration by draining it down to 0% untill it shuts off..... Then a full charge back up will reset back to 100%.
Ahh, nice - cheers. Hopefully won't need to do that anytime soon!

Back