New Transporter - first official pic

Having owned a few over the years I don't feel VW was ever 'premium' other than in the asking price and in the minds of of a buying public easily swayed by clever advertising.

The way they deliberately 'tune' the doors to make a certain sound when closing gives an impression of quality without the expense of actually providing it.

Ditto the way they engineer their switches to feel a certain way when operated.

And so on.

It gives a false impression of a premium product for minimal extra cost without actually doing anything to genuinely improve function or lifespan. It's far less expensive than actually making a premium product yet convinces the user that is exactly what it is.

Such tactics are just smoke and mirrors, a bit like their emissions fiddling.

We've owned many VW's over the years, and many back to back for direct comparison ( Golfs, Tourans, Transporters), so it has been easily evident to see the decline in build quality. The tech may have gone up, but it has also shown how standard equipment levels have gone down.

Having owned a few over the years I don't feel VW was ever 'premium' other than in the asking price and in the minds of of a buying public easily swayed by clever advertising.
That’s the smoke and mirrors of effective brand marketing which VAG have exploited remarkably successfully over several years. As you say, VW’s pricing model and promotional messaging has supported the brand’s premium tag in the mid-market sector differentiating them against rivals probably since the 1970s. In my view, for all the reasons previously discussed, in the small and medium van sectors VW are going to struggle to differentiate their products from Ford, Stellantis, Toyota and Renault-Nissan group offerings.

Just seen the new T7 on the road for the first time.
It’s worse than we think guys.
It’s like a cross between a new Citroen an old Renault traffic and a transformer.
Mods need to introduce a puke emoji for us to use just for the T7
All the appeal that the transporter had over all the other vans hasn’t just been lost but completely dumped on.
The only VW about it was the badge on the front and back.
There wasn’t a single angle that you looked at it and thought it looked ok.
It doesn’t
It just looks shit !

The way they deliberately 'tune' the doors to make a certain sound when closing gives an impression of quality without the expense of actually providing it.

Ditto the way they engineer their switches to feel a certain way when operated.

And so on.

It gives a false impression of a premium product for minimal extra cost without actually doing anything to genuinely improve function or lifespan. It's far less expensive than actually making a premium product yet convinces the user that is exactly what it is.

Such tactics are just smoke and mirrors, a bit like their emissions fiddling.
I’m a massive vw fan for me it’s a reliability thing I’ve had many a vw
2 caddy’s
1 scirocco
On my 2nd golf r
2 T6
And now a 6.1 sportline
And touch wood no major reliability issues!
I’ve had so many cars and vans over the years including other premium manufacturers and thought I had the worst car history with many a blown engines and various other issues then found my love for vw’s.
Don’t get me wrong when they go wrong there expensive but in my personal opinion I seem to get less issues.

I think I mentioned my Golf that caught fire while I was driving it at only a few months old. That from a brand that many associate with quality.

Conversely, Mrs Sasquatch previously had 14 Peugeots in succession (her Brother worked at their HQ and he could buy one at cost each year, Mrs S would buy one, run it a year and sell it at no loss so essentially free motoring) and not a single problem on any of them. That from a brand with a reputation that gives garden sheds a bad name,

Individual experiences don't count for much - a correlation of one in most cases, which is mathematidally meaningless. En masse we gain a more realistic picture. To that end have a quiet browse through the What Car Reliability Index and compare Polo, Golf and Passat of various generations to rivals from both 'quality' and mass market brands. You'll see that in terms of reliability, ie, reported breakdowns, VW are very average as a brand at best.

For all that, the one Peugeot I ever owned was forever breaking! The interior water feature was particularly unwelcome.

Back