VW closes T6.1 order book today (3/3/23) !!!! - T7 Next? or T8?

I want a new van to replace my T6.1 but the options are really limited.

VW have stopped the T6.1 and the next one will be a polished Transit.

Mercedes announced the new Vito several months ago but no news since.

The Vauxhall Vivaro is a lovely little van and much cheaper than the German offerings, but Vauxhall have just stopped making diesel versions, so it's now electric or nothing.

I really don't know what to do...

• Sad
Reactions: CAB

The Vauxhall Vivaro is a lovely little van and much cheaper than the German offerings, but Vauxhall have just stopped making diesel versions, so it's now electric or nothing.

Wait for the T8. VW will realise that they’ve made the same mistake getting into bed with Ford, as they did with Mercedes & the Crafter/Sprinter. That didn’t last long.

Wait for the T8. VW will realise that they’ve made the same mistake getting into bed with Ford, as they did with Mercedes & the Crafter/Sprinter. That didn’t last long.
I can't wait that long. My 6.1 is doing my head in - such a lemon. I actually rather hate it and the Vivaro is so much quieter and the suspension so much nicer.

I can't wait that long. My 6.1 is doing my head in - such a lemon. I actually rather hate it and the Vivaro is so much quieter and the suspension so much nicer.
The Vivaro is a rebadged Peugeot Expert if that helps. I’ve had both when on the books at my last company.

The facelift Vito is available to order now
The Vivaro options are also Peugeot Expert, Citroen Dispatch, Fiat Scudo.
I run both a Dispatch and an Expert.
The Expert has been more reliable than my T6.
Only just got the Dispatch a few weeks ago.

Reactions: CAB
Thanks for the words of encouragement! :rolleyes:

After waiting for 12 months for my 6.1 with not a penny off, I was rather hoping all the gremlins of my T6 had been ironed out, and that I could regain faith in the brand once again.

But as I said earlier on, it is my 6th and last new VW commercial vehicle - If Volkswagen can't be bothered, neither can I.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! :rolleyes:

After waiting for 12 months for my 6.1 with not a penny off, I was rather hoping all the gremlins of my T6 had been ironed out, and that I could regain faith in the brand once again.

But as I said earlier on, it is my 6th and last new VW commercial vehicle - If Volkswagen can't be bothered, neither can I.
I have had my 6,1 for a year no issues at all ,fingers crossed it stays that way

I have had my 6,1 for a year no issues at all ,fingers crossed it stays that way
The first failure on my T6 came after 18 months when the starter motor packed up.
The same beefed up starter motor engineered to take the stresses of stop/start life .... even though I disabled it every time I started it. :rolleyes:

I was looking at getting a Vivaro a couple of months ago. Rang 2 Stellantis dealers. Still waiting for a call back.

That was after arguing with one of them that the Vivaro is a Vauxhall and not a Daihatsu or whatever department they wanted to put me through to. I'm sure the vans are better than the staff at the dealers I contacted but surely it shouldn't be so much hassle to get some info or test drive.

You had a lucky escape then. The new ones are garbage, bodyshell is made of foil, the sliding doors drops so i catches the 1/4s and sils, the fit and finish is poor at best. The only good bit about them is the price and even that is 20k to much. Not a fan of any of the new vauxhalls definitely made a step backwards IMO. Oh if your wondering why so negative I unfortunately have to work on the pile of turds.

The first failure on my T6 came after 18 months when the starter motor packed up.
The same beefed up starter motor engineered to take the stresses of stop/start life .... even though I disabled it every time I started it. :rolleyes:
Our T5.1 doesn’t have stop/start. Our Golf - a 2014 2.0 150 tdi does - it’s on by default although there is a button to turn it off (but I rarely do). The car is still on the original starter and original battery (and original dsg clutch 106k miles in).

Maybe the Golf uses a different system to the Transporter? I believe some stop/start systems spin the engine back up with the alternator? If that’s the case in the golf with a 2.0 150 why can’t they use that in the Transporter?

I usually just turn mine off now - unless I'm sitting in standstill traffic jams going nowhere.

I find oh too often it 'thinks' it knows what you want. As others have mentioned, it Auto Starts when car in front pulls away but if it's just a few feet

I usually just turn mine off now - unless I'm sitting in standstill traffic jams going nowhere.

I find oh too often it 'thinks' it knows what you want. As others have mentioned, it Auto Starts when car in front pulls away but if it's just a few feet
I think you can change the setting for that part about cars in front pulling off? Can’t remember what the menu selection is called atm though.

@BDifferent,

Wasn't too keen on the reviews of the 'offset driving position' with the Vivaros buts, as you said, would like to have something more substantial than tinfoil between me and the chump driving the Audi who zigzags up the Motorway thinking he is James Hunt (cockney rhyming slang).
The great thing with the T6 is that, unlike the old T4, I can jump out of the van and not look like I've forgotten my blue badge.
With the T4 (after a couple hours driving) it would take a few minutes before I could walk upright or without a limp.

I've probably done 500k miles in vans and cars with stop-start, no issues so far. I really don't see the problem with them.
I think mechanical sympathy is my issue with the system, just like I don't use the quick shifter on my motorbike.
Not a problem when I know I'm stationary for a while, but the thing can stop waiting to turn right at lights.
And as I said, despite turning it off as default, I still had a failed starter motor at 2 years, and a dud AGM battery at 3.

And as I said, despite turning it off as default, I still had a failed starter motor at 2 years, and a dud AGM battery at 3.
Considering I’ve never turned stop/start off in my 2014 golf and it’s on the original battery, starter, clutch (dsg) after all those years and 105k stop/start miles I wonder if your van would have had those issues anyway? Although is a 2.0tdi 150 golf engine any different from the one in a t6?

The golf has been way more reliable than the van oddly.

Considering I’ve never turned stop/start off in my 2014 golf and it’s on the original battery, starter, clutch (dsg) after all those years and 105k stop/start miles I wonder if your van would have had those issues anyway? Although is a 2.0tdi 150 golf engine any different from the one in a t6?

The golf has been way more reliable than the van oddly.
All I can confirm is the 3 Caddy's I had prior were more Golf like and flawless.

Back