Wash & Wax Time . . . . . . But Which One And How?

my order is as follows

de-bug and tar
Autogylm polar blast snowfoam
Rinse
Ultra HD shampoo
Rinse
Dry
Autoglym super resin polish
Autoglym HD wax

in between was consists of

Snowfoam
Rinse
Shampoo
Rinse
Dry
Autoglym quick detailer
Would love the time to be able to do this....Seriously good regime!

Hi All

As a keen weekend warrior, thought id post on here. I normally us a mix of products when clean the van or the wifes car. Detail Kitchen, Auto Finesse, Maguairs and yusso wax

Last weekend I gave the van a clean ready for the Early edition show on Sunday, i used for the first time some products from Squid Detailing. highly recommend them. Used the alka froth snow foam, then HD shampoo. I gave the van a quick da polish using Auto finesse tripple to cover any minor swirls. Quick wipe over with detailer before applying a think layet of Squid inks Afterglow wx. it came up amazing. i always use the detail kitchens cocktail quick detailer as a final wipe over. I reapplied this when i got to Early Edition on Sunday. Ill post links below with the photos
clean3.jpgclean2.jpgclean1.jpg

Hi all,
I have a cherry red t5!that is need of a good polish and wax as it looks like it could be loosing its shine/colour in the sun. I have read through the forum and a lot of people recommend debug and tar, rinse, snow foam and rinse Auto glym polish, autoglym wax. Is this the best way and products?
If anyone has any other methods and products they use or can recommend it would be greatly appreciated as i’m really not into detailing.
TIA

IMG_0051.jpeg

Hi all,
I have a cherry red t5!that is need of a good polish and wax as it looks like it could be loosing its shine/colour in the sun. I have read through the forum and a lot of people recommend debug and tar, rinse, snow foam and rinse Auto glym polish, autoglym wax. Is this the best way and products?
If anyone has any other methods and products they use or can recommend it would be greatly appreciated as i’m really not into detailing.
TIA

View attachment 247810
After you snow foam and rinse you really ought to then hand wash the van with a wash mitt because snow foam doesn't remove all of the dirt.
Most car wash products are primarily formulated to be kind to your wax or other sealant so as not to remove it, but you don't need to worry about that because you are going to wax it again. You can use a product that will remove dirt, insect splatter, wax, sealant, tar etc, such as Meguiars Wash plus.

Obviously don't use this as your regular car shampoo unless you intend to wax the vehicle again.
Then, as you say, dry the van, then a light polish and wax and it'll look great.

Hi all,
TIA

View attachment 247810
My 2 pennies worth. As stated above, hand washing is essential to remove any grime and dirt, I generally give it a 2 stage hand wash.
Dependant on how "anal" you want to be in trying to restore your paint work, you can look at cutting compounds to remove swirls and light scratches.
If this is the route you are looking to go down then I would suggest that you clay bar your panels prior to this. Again, a bit anal, but it will remove any other grit, grime embedded in your paintwork.

When it comes to polishing, I use either Autoglym super resin polish or their Ultra deep shine (works well on a black van) to lock the polish in, I will then wax it, just purchased Chemical guys wet butter wax (yet to use it).
The way I look at it is that I've invested a lot of money in the van and I want to invest time into keeping it looking it nice.
That's just me though, slightly OCD and ever so slightly odd.

To get it winter ready I will do the above and then Polar seal it, again another Autoglym product.

Thanks both,
Any clay bar in particular you use or just any? Going to be making the purchases today hopefully.

Thanks both,
Any clay bar in particular you use or just any? Going to be making the purchases today hopefully.
I think my clay bar was a generic one from Halfords. Just remember to keep it moist, I find that a weak soap/water solution works just as well as the detailing spray they sell as part of some kits.

I think my clay bar was a generic one from Halfords. Just remember to keep it moist, I find that a weak soap/water solution works just as well as the detailing spray they sell as part of some kits.
exactly, it has to glide over the surface. keep it moist so there is no resistance at all or you'll be marring your paint. I do prefer detailing sprays because some clays dissolve with soapy water.

exactly, it has to glide over the surface. keep it moist so there is no resistance at all or you'll be marring your paint. I do prefer detailing sprays because some clays dissolve with soapy water.
Every day is a school day, I shall keep an eye out for that. :thumbsup:

Can I ask, what detailing spray do you use and is it the same as the clay bar?

So I assume;
Clay bar/spray detailing

debug and tar (Meguiars Wash plus) only do this when waxing after. Normal shampoo in between Autoglym bodywork shampoo and conditioner

rinse

snow foam (hats trading strong snow foam)

rinse

Snow foam again and Wash with mitt

dry

Autoglym super resin polish

autoglym wax (any in particular?) or butter wax.

Again, TIA all.

just getting into this detailing lark so been following this thread for a few tips

first vehicle I have owned worth cleaning lol

thanks and no thanks to this forum I have just invested in a Kranzle k10 pressure washer..... wow what a machine compared to the more domestic type. Brass head, serviceable, supper powerful and just basic pump. I look back on the number of karchers I have owned and whilst expensive the Kranzle would of been massive VFM had I brought it 20 years ago.

so the Kranzle leads to a garage re-jig (everything in its place), new cold water main installed (no more running hose pipes), wall mounted real with 15m hose again no more hose pipes or having to move washer about ... well pleased and the chore of cleaning is now a little more enjoyable. Trouble is kids keep rocking up now thinking my house is a free car wash FFS

first outing with a foam cannon. I didn't realise that this is generally more of a pre-wash however for a quick turnaround I have used it twice with a mitt on the second application and does leave clean. Anyone use it to apply shampoo?

did the clay bar thing the other week with Autoglym Detail spray. great result but spray is expensive so may try the soapy water next time.

used the AG Resin polish but didnt realise that you need a wax coat after ..... reviewing Wax options

Purchased some Trolls Breath wheel cleaner again a game changer compared to TFR -

anyone know if it is a good idea to use the Trolls on every clean?

I dilute the TFR 25% to 75% water and tend top use low down and windscreen - any view on this? It can be aggressive and has multiple cleaning uses, patios etc. Guess it will strip protective wax coats

just getting into this detailing lark so been following this thread for a few tips

first vehicle I have owned worth cleaning lol

thanks and no thanks to this forum I have just invested in a Kranzle k10 pressure washer..... wow what a machine compared to the more domestic type. Brass head, serviceable, supper powerful and just basic pump. I look back on the number of karchers I have owned and whilst expensive the Kranzle would of been massive VFM had I brought it 20 years ago.

so the Kranzle leads to a garage re-jig (everything in its place), new cold water main installed (no more running hose pipes), wall mounted real with 15m hose again no more hose pipes or having to move washer about ... well pleased and the chore of cleaning is now a little more enjoyable. Trouble is kids keep rocking up now thinking my house is a free car wash FFS

first outing with a foam cannon. I didn't realise that this is generally more of a pre-wash however for a quick turnaround I have used it twice with a mitt on the second application and does leave clean. Anyone use it to apply shampoo?

did the clay bar thing the other week with Autoglym Detail spray. great result but spray is expensive so may try the soapy water next time.

used the AG Resin polish but didnt realise that you need a wax coat after ..... reviewing Wax options

Purchased some Trolls Breath wheel cleaner again a game changer compared to TFR -

anyone know if it is a good idea to use the Trolls on every clean?

I dilute the TFR 25% to 75% water and tend top use low down and windscreen - any view on this? It can be aggressive and has multiple cleaning uses, patios etc. Guess it will strip protective wax coats
I some times use shampoo in the snow foam I think it’s good as you know where you’ve wiped with a mitt.
I’ve been through many makes of drying towels best by far is my current one by Sam’s detailing. Can nearly dry the whole van with one towel ( even though I have 2) it’s brilliant

I some times use shampoo in the snow foam I think it’s good as you know where you’ve wiped with a mitt.
I’ve been through many makes of drying towels best by far is my current one by Sam’s detailing. Can nearly dry the whole van with one towel ( even though I have 2) it’s brilliant
will look them up, what size do you use?

Make your vehicle as clean as possible BEFORE claying.
As a lube I use meguiars Last Touch diluted 1:1

1 snow foam
2 rinse
3 wash (hand / contact)
4 rinse
5 de iron (eg Bilt Hamber Korrossol)
6 de tar if neccessary
7 rinse
8 clay
9 rinse
10 polish (as needed, coarse/medium/fine/ 1 step/...)
11 degraese (IPA)
12 wax, or coat

For our daily used T6's, don't expect to do this all in 4 hours. You'l need a whole (long) day if you want it perfect!
If you don't have many defect and have experience, maybe in a few hours

PS
I'm a big fan of Bilt Hamber (UK company) an Gyeon products
Our Cali has a Gyeon One coating, topped up from time to time with Gyeon Wax (hybrid product)

For a fast protection layer, Bilt Hamber touchless or Gyeon Wet Coat. You'll be amazed!
Both spray on rinse off. Also easy to use on alloys wheels, no need to spread open and wipe off.

instead of clay I've just done the van with G techniq fall out remover. It got an amazing amount of roughness off my paint just by dissolving all the embedded metal bits.
I'm not sure if it gets everything off compared to clay.
I then did it with AG super resin then chemical guys ceramic polish. I then use the chemical guys ceramic car shampoo to rejuvenate every now and again.
But normal wash is snowfoam, rinse, wipe with wash mit and dry with a microfibre towel. I just add the ceramic shampoo stuff when it's not beading water so much.

autoglym wax (any in particular?) or butter wax.

Again, TIA all.
Go for something with a high carnauba content.

I've not long purchased their DA polisher with cutting pads and lambs wool buffing heads, didn't think of the drying towels, guess that might be the next purchase, unless you fancy selling your unused one :whistle:

Back