What Have You Bought Today?

Whale 12v Submersible water pump, old one gave up the ghost at the weekend. Currently reading up onto become a contortionist as I need to be able to fold my arms and torso into many different positions to get to the existing wiring.

Thetford 355 Porta Potti, by order of the long haired general. Apparently the collapsible contraption isn't man enough for the job.

I did say (very quietly) have you thought of shedding a few pounds. She obviously didn't here me as I'm here to type the tale.

Last edited:
I was going to go for a proper porta potty but I'll be buying a much simpler folding one, the bivvy loo looks decent. Will only ever be used in a last, last resort, so probably only once a year, if that - a pee bottle (or nearby bush) is all I need for the other!

To be fair, that does seem like a more powerful option (looks like it can provide up to 30a charging from LB to SB) but I don't think you'd anything that powerful. Even with constant use on site, or the van being left standing for weeks, the Ablemail is capable of keeping it topped up.
Good to know, thanks.

The 'fold on lock/unfold on unlock' option sounds cool, but not sure it's very practical on a camper - the whirring noise, the wear on the motor and the power draw on the SB are all considerations when you're constantly in and out of the van whilst on site.
Ordinarily the setting is that it folds on lock and unfolds on ignition (rather than unlock) which saves the SB some...

I’ve just bought the Victron shunt to fit to my LB and maybe link to SB, and I have a tab open for the Ablemail. Where are folks fitting the Ablemail, is it next to the SB? Pictures would be nice if you’d like to show off.

I’ve just bought the Victron shunt to fit to my LB and maybe link to SB, and I have a tab open for the Ablemail. Where are folks fitting the Ablemail, is it next to the SB? Pictures would be nice if you’d like to show off.
In with the LB. One positive on mine goes to the SB feed (DC-DC input) before it goes into the DC-DC. The other positive to the LB. Negative to your negative busbar or wherever your negatives terminate.

Or...

If you've got a Victron MPPT 100/20 or smaller, you can use the Load output on that for the LB positive and the negative connection. Saves some cabling, and lets you monitor the Ablemail via the load output monitoring on the MPPT.

Where are folks fitting the Ablemail, is it next to the SB?
Next to the LB. It’s tiny, about the size of a deck of cards. I did 3 cables, as per the instructions, one into each terminal of the DC-DC (sounds like the Victron XS doesn’t like having 2 cables because of the cover but it’s fine on the older ones).

If your converter charged you £50 for fitting the Ablemail, he'd be ripping you off! As Paul says SB no less than 12.3 now. No SB anxiety any more.
And don't forget, you are Northern!
X
My converter has suggested they'd need to remove all the O/S cabinetry and the cab roof lining" in order to run a new cable from the SB to the Balmar (which they'd locate next to the LB, which lives inside said cabinetry). Are they pulling the wool, as this doesn't sound like a sub-£50 installation to me?

My converter has suggested they'd need to remove all the O/S cabinetry and the cab roof lining" in order to run a new cable from the SB to the Balmar (which they'd locate next to the LB, which lives inside said cabinetry). Are they pulling the wool, as this doesn't sound like a sub-£50 installation to me?
I smell several sheep. What B2B have you got, and where is it?

What? No, no, no...

Where's your DC-DC charger located?

There's already a cable from the SB to the LB area, which the DC-DC uses...

I've got the Victron Energy Orion-Tr Smart 12|12-30, which is situated under the passenger seat.
Presumably that feeds back to the LB somehow, so yeah all you need is the Ablemail right next to the DC-DC, one positive on the input wire that goes to the DC-DC, one on the output wire that goes to the LB, and the negative to chassis ground or your negative connection.

They said they suggested the Balmar because "it plays nicely" with all the other Victron kit. I'm guessing you guys don't have any interoperability issues using the Ablemail with any Victron kit you have, do you?

Back